Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

reduced power mode

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2023, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default reduced power mode

2013 Chevy Malibu Eco
Have a 2013 Chevy Malibu Eco, recently the car goes directly into reduced power mode. I have check the codes and the fuel pressure regulator was faulted and the cam position sensors were not correlating. Replaced the fuel pressure regulator and the high pressure pump but still no change. The issue is not low pressure, it is way high. At Idle it is reaching 3,000 psi. With terrible idle issues and a screeching noise do to the injectors being overridden by the pressure. I have yet to replace the cam sensors but have replaced the actuators. The other issue is at idle the timing is hovering at zero, at 2,000 - 2,500 it is giving close to 60° of advance. I wonder if it is the sensors or the phaser or what?
Old October 27th, 2023, 6:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinRHutch
I have check the codes
what are the full codes please?
Old October 28th, 2023, 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

Default Full codes

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
what are the full codes please?
I'm not around the car at the moment but I will update those for anyone going through the same issues. In the meantime I will give you the diagnosis. I found the right side guide for the timing chain to be broken and the car had indeed jumped time. Luckily I don't believe any valves have collided with pistons but remains to be seen. I will change the timing chain, guides and tensioner tonight and will update tomorrow.
Old October 30th, 2023, 5:27 AM
CF Beginner

Default Update

Originally Posted by KevinRHutch
I'm not around the car at the moment but I will update those for anyone going through the same issues. In the meantime I will give you the diagnosis. I found the right side guide for the timing chain to be broken and the car had indeed jumped time. Luckily I don't believe any valves have collided with pistons but remains to be seen. I will change the timing chain, guides and tensioner tonight and will update tomorrow.
● Update, I did change the timing chain, tensioner and guide. The car runs like a sewing machine now. I did not write the codes down but from what I remember it had 4 verified codes and a few that were just set because of me unplugging and plugging back in sensors. 0011, 0016, 0028 and I think the other was 0064 or something like that. Do not hold me to those numbers, that was from memory and could be wrong. Main thing I take away from this is if these 2.4's start setting solenoid and cam sensor codes I'm looking directly at the black chain guide before anything else! Hope this helps someone!
The following users liked this post:
mountainmanjoe (October 30th, 2023)
Old October 30th, 2023, 4:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

Thanks for posting the solution