Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

serious help needed with 1999 chevy malibu

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2009, 1:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cannot listen to it at work. The website is blocked. Did you try the water test? You can just pour a little bit on the belt. Don't tip a glass over, just get it wet. The sound should go away immediately if it's the belt.
Old May 8th, 2009, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which side of the belt needs to be wet, the smoothe or the groove side?
Old May 8th, 2009, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

UPDATE:

i tried the wet test, didnt change much, but the guy who lives below me came out and said he knew what it was, and he didnt even look in there. He claims it's the A.C. clutch's arms rattling on each other because they're loose. He works on cars for a living, but I dont know how good he is at it. Does this sound like a viable explanation?
Old May 8th, 2009, 1:42 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree it sounds like a problem with the A/C clutch, I had the same problem on my Silverado, but I only ever noticed it when I was in a drive-thru or next to a building with the window down. I have a new compressor on it now, but that was due to the fact that it leaked the oil out and locked up.
Old May 8th, 2009, 1:50 PM
Banned

Does the clutch rotate? When the a/c is off the clutch does not spin, if the a/c is turned on the clutch should spin. If it's seized it will not spin. The clutch is electromagnetic. If it turns out to be the clutch you can replace it separate but I don't know if it is cost effective. In that case I would replace the whole compressor. The a/c freon has oil that it pushes around the system. If it dried up and seized you could possibly have a a/c leak.

Last edited by OnDaGround; May 8th, 2009 at 1:54 PM.
Old May 8th, 2009, 1:55 PM
CF Beginner

the AC is off, it's turned all the way to RED and the intensity is on OFF, but it still blows out hot air. My last car did that too though. If i turn it to cold, even in off, it blows out cold. Could it be stuck open?
Old May 8th, 2009, 2:01 PM
CF Beginner

also i had a problem with the heater 1 night this past winter: it wouldnt turn on until i moved it to 2 or 3, and i got a really loud noise i can't remember very well that started when i turned it that high. So maybe it is just he AC clutch arms slapping each other
Old May 8th, 2009, 2:19 PM
Banned

You should read the thread I made. lol. That's why I made it. Your fan blower motor resistor is fried. You need a new one. It's like 25 bucks or so. Here are the directions on how to replace it. https://chevroletforum.com/forum/malibu-15/hvac-blower-only-works-3-4-5-a-22666/

The air will always blow out of the vents even when it's turned off. It's completely normal for these cars.

Did you try testing the compressor clutch to see if it spins?
Old May 8th, 2009, 2:24 PM
CF Beginner

no, i didnt try testing it because i dont know how, but if it is the resistor, would that cause the noise?
Old May 8th, 2009, 2:35 PM
Banned

No no no no.... 2 totally unrelated problems. lol. The reason your fans only work on 3, 4 and 5 is because the resistor is bad. With the a/c if you look at the compressor with it off you will see that the pulley is not spinning with the belt. And when you turn it on the pulley should begin to spin causing the clutch to engage and the compressor to turn on.

Quick Reply: serious help needed with 1999 chevy malibu