Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

temp gauge and a/c

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2012, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mcuadra86 no problem have you replaced it yet and if so has it fixed your problem
Old August 14th, 2013, 9:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default Malibu temperature sensor problem

I have the same problem. FYI if the temp sensor is cold the AC will not cycle on. The issue is with the sensor circuit. I replaced the sensor; it worked for a few days and failed again. It may be a wiring problem which I will check but I suspect it is a ECM problem.

If anyone knows let us have it; it appears to be a common problem.
Old August 14th, 2013, 12:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default Malibu temperature sensor problem

The thermostat has nothing to do with this issue. The coolant temp sensor feed data to the ecm. If the temp sensor says t's cold the AC will not cycle on. I have the same issue and have changed the temp sensor but still have he problem. Will check wire next. Probably an ecm problem.
Old August 14th, 2013, 9:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

that seems logical.

I wanted to know for sure what conditions the pcm will shut off the a/c based on information from the ect sensor. All I could find however was pcm logic to shut off the a/c only during an overheating condition. As fas as I can tell...the pcm uses the a/c pressure sensor information to shut down the a/c to prevent evap freezing.
Old August 21st, 2013, 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

I am having the same issue. Things I have done: Changed ECTS, Thermostat. Removed Cables from PCM and applied Dioeltric Grease (which removing the cables reset the pcm and all was well for 24 hours) Removed and replaced PCM fuses which reset and all was well for about 24 hours. My mechanic is leaning toward the issue being a bad PCM. Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem?
Old August 22nd, 2013, 6:53 AM
CF Beginner

The thermostat has nothing to do with this issue. If it is not the coolant temp sensor then it is wiring or the ECM. I replaced my temp sensor and problem came back. I can disconnect the battery when the gauge is not working and it will start working for a while. I'm sure it is my ECM and are now determining if I'm going to replace it on a 150K miles car.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

when the problem is active what ya get when you check the 5volt ref to the ect sensor and low ref grd back to the ecm?
Old August 26th, 2013, 7:28 AM
CF Beginner

Default Temperature gauge not working

More data. When car sets overnight, outside temp 60s, the gauge will work until engine reaches normal temp then stop on way to work. Gauge will not work again until coming home after car reaches normal temp, outside temp 80s. Has to be ECM.

RockAuto has ECM for $160. I assume it has to be programmed by dealer?
Does anyone have experience with aftermarket PCM?
Old August 27th, 2013, 8:43 PM
Super Moderator

it will need to be reprogrammed or the car won't start.

its pretty easy to check the ecm supply voltage; verify the power and grd wiring cause every once in a while you will get caught.
Old August 27th, 2013, 9:17 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you setting code po128? At work we take care of a fleet of city police cars. Replace the thermostat with a dealer stat and clear the code it will fix it. Trust me. I have seen this many times. You must use a factory t-stat. The code is referring to the car not heating up fast enough. For some dumb reason the pcm disables the temperature gauge and air conditioner. The reason it happens again after the temp has been in the 60 is the pcm re runs the test/monitor.

For all of you that do not believe me what do you have to lose $60 at most. When you pull it out you will likely see the stat is open slightly. It is far less then a computer.

Last edited by MDTAHOE; August 27th, 2013 at 9:29 PM.

Quick Reply: temp gauge and a/c