Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Transmission noise on 2012 Malibu w/4cyl.

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2017, 7:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission noise on 2012 Malibu w/4cyl.

I have a 2012 Malibu with about 60,000 miles on it. It started making noise like a bearing was going bad two days ago. Here is what I know so far:
Noise sound like a bad bearing. Noise changes pitch with vehicle speed. Even with engine off and transmission in neutral. Pitch does not change when turning left or right at speed. It remains constant.

After putting the vehicle on a lift there is no play in the drive hubs and they were not hot. No evidence of "red dust" coming from hubs or drive shaft support bearing. I think I can hear something from transmission but not positive. Bottom of transmission is damp with fluid with no apparent source of leak.

Started vehicle and placed in drive. Cannot feel anything in drive hubs or driveshaft support bearing. My question is: Are there any common known problems with the transmissions in these vehicle that would causes a noise?
Please don't just recommend that I take it to the dealer unless it will be a covered repair. Than I would be more than happy to.
Old April 5th, 2017, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if the noise is present coasting down with the engine off and trans in neutral...it may not be the trans.

does it make the noise with the front wheels raised off the ground the eng/trans running at approx 50mph....if the noise is not present there...check the tires for irregular wear. toe wear sounds like a bad bearing and will not change when loading and unloading during turns.
Old April 11th, 2017, 11:24 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by gusdog
I have a 2012 Malibu with about 60,000 miles on it. It started making noise like a bearing was going bad two days ago. Here is what I know so far:
Noise sound like a bad bearing. Noise changes pitch with vehicle speed. Even with engine off and transmission in neutral. Pitch does not change when turning left or right at speed. It remains constant.

After putting the vehicle on a lift there is no play in the drive hubs and they were not hot. No evidence of "red dust" coming from hubs or drive shaft support bearing. I think I can hear something from transmission but not positive. Bottom of transmission is damp with fluid with no apparent source of leak.

Started vehicle and placed in drive. Cannot feel anything in drive hubs or driveshaft support bearing. My question is: Are there any common known problems with the transmissions in these vehicle that would causes a noise?
Please don't just recommend that I take it to the dealer unless it will be a covered repair. Than I would be more than happy to.
Hello gusdog,

Your concerns towards this noise is understandable and I apologize for any inconvenience as a result of this situation. I realize you don't wish to visit the dealership, however we would be more than happy to check your VIN for any campaigns that relate to what you've described. Please send us your VIN within a direct message if this is of interest.

To learn more about GM's privacy policy, please visit Privacy Statement | GM.com

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care