Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

trouble locating coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2010, 7:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trouble locating coolant leak

Hi, My son has a '03 Malibu that seems to be losing coolant but only when it's parked on an incline. We just recently had both upper and lower manifold seals replaced (9 months ago) and all has been fine until just recently. I thought it may be a hose or something, but it dosen't seem to leak unless he's parked on an incline and a hose would leak regardless of how you're parked.

Any ideas? Thanks
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could have a head gasket ready to blow. They are common around # 1 and #2 cylinders. Check the spark plugs for rust on the outside and compare then to the others. It could be leak externally and not into the oil or combustion chamber. Another thing with the manifold gaskets. I have had several brought to me that had been replaced recently and they had to be replaced again. Its kind of a touchy job and the lower manifold gaskets have to be torqued exactly as instructed, in the proper order. Vertical bolts first.