Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Turn signal chime and driver's door speaker stopped working

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2016, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal chime and driver's door speaker stopped working

2012 Malibu 2LT

Recently replaced a cracked windshield (done by SafeLite) and replaced a faulty resistor assembly (replacement part from Advance Auto and I installed it) to restore full function to the blower fan. Since then, my driver’s side front door speaker and the turn signal chime no longer work. The volume in the passenger side front speaker is very weak when the balance is adjusted to front and right, whereas the rear speakers all seem to be working just fine. Any help to narrow down the source(s) of the problem would be appreciated. To be clear, I am not inclined to take the car to a dealership at this point. I prefer to do the work myself if it is feasible. I did not notice the issues until after both of the repairs were completed. The windshield was done one day before the resistor assembly was replaced. I cannot definitely pin down the exact moment that the speaker and chime stopped working. It was a day after the all was completed that I notice the stereo sounded odd. My hearing is impaired some, so I often do not notice the turn signal chime if the stereo is on. After realizing that the driver's side front speaker was completely out, I later realized that the chime was also silent.
Thanks in advance.
Old September 7th, 2016, 12:06 PM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

When you were replacing the resistor you may have by accident loosened a wire or plug on the back of the radio. Also may have damaged some wires. The chimes go through the speaker so they are the same problem. Back track your steps to look for this.
Old September 7th, 2016, 12:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the fast reply. I briefly did that yesterday, but the emphasis was on "brief" during my lunch break at work. I checked for a pinched or damaged wire, but did not find anything obvious. I also wondered about a fuse or relay failing. My thought was that all of the speakers and the radio would be dead if that was the case. I will pull the panels off again and check wires and connections. Anything else in your experience?
Old September 7th, 2016, 3:58 PM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Since it happened after the work on the resistor, it points to something that was done while the resistor was being changed. Otherwise it points to bad speakers but unlikely that it all happened at the same time.