Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Upgrading to Rear DVD System

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2009, 2:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading to Rear DVD System

Hello

I just bought a center console with the rear dvd player/screen that came out of a malibu maxx hoping it would work with my 2004 malibu maxx. Upon removing my console I find that the harness to plug the dvd player console to is much smaller. Does anyone know if there is a harness I can buy to make this work? Or if I can hardwire the console to get it to work? Thanks
Old April 3rd, 2009, 5:24 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There are 3 connectors in total at the DVD player. You need to run shielded audio lines to the radio, power&ground, data lines, and the 3rd connector is between the display and dvd player so you probably already have that.see your local parts dept to see if they can supply the connectors, and the pins to go with them. Then if you ask really nicely, they may solder the wires to the pins for you, just to make life a litttle easier
Old April 4th, 2009, 4:07 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info. The harness is intact on the console itself so all the wires on the dvd player are connected. Where do the data lines connect that you are talking about. And is this a case where I will need some type of programing from the dealer to make it work once wired?

Thank you
Matt
Old April 5th, 2009, 7:57 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

are there connectors on the console that run up to the radio?
The data lines can just be run to either the DLC, or to the radio which will probably be easier....Just looked a little further into it, and the rear speaker leads will have to be cut and spliced into as well

As far as I know, the radio should work fine
Old April 6th, 2009, 6:00 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you very much for your help but I decided to return the console as it looks like more work then I figured. Yes there was a male harness connector that ran to the dvd player and also the ac adapters and T/C, but the female connector on the car itself did not match the male connector. Ill probably go the aftermarket route now. But thank you for the help.
Old July 24th, 2010, 10:42 AM
CF Beginner

I'm thinking of doing the same upgrade. Can I just run 12v power to the DVD player then splice in the speaker wires? Looking for the easiset way to get it running but don't really need it hooked up just like factory I guess.