Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

04 Monte carlo sunroof replacement for a leak????

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2013, 5:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Monte carlo sunroof replacement for a leak????

First thanks for taking the time to read this. Ok after trying to track down a water leak I gave up and went to the dealership to see what they could find. I am aware of the drainage tubes and how they need to be cleaned and the TSB on the tubes. All tubes were flowing freely before I brought it there and they agreed.

So after the leak tested and dropped the roof to check further for leaks they said that "sunroof frame/module is allowing water past the drive cables into motor assembly and out motor housing and cable overrun pipes. Need to replace frame and motor" $1776.00 not to mention $430 just to find the issue.
The sunroof works fine and opens and closes just fine. I declined the full replacement.

I was wondering if this has been seen before by anyone on here? I can't believe the entire thing needs to be replaced. I looked online at local boneyards and can get an entire setup used for $150. I believe I can do it myself I'm pretty handy with cars for the most part. I do have some questions about how hard it is and I realize there has been revisions on the sunroof frames part way thru 2004 for some reason or another. Any ideas????
Old January 15th, 2013, 7:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

is the glass adjusted correctly? The front should be 1mm below the roof line and the rear should be level with the roofline?

With it adjusted correctly have someone spray "garden hose" over the glass seals and watch for leaks sitting inside the car.
Old January 15th, 2013, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
is the glass adjusted correctly? The front should be 1mm below the roof line and the rear should be level with the roofline?

With it adjusted correctly have someone spray "garden hose" over the glass seals and watch for leaks sitting inside the car.
I asked about that and they said it was the frame of the sunroof. I dont see how its the frame no rust etc. Car only has 87k on it too. I was going to go the junkyard route but not sure how hard its going to be. I have been told 4 bolts and unplug wires and drain tubes but havent found much info on it.
Old January 16th, 2013, 3:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

How does water even get to the drain tubes if the glass is adjusted properly, the seal is good and you don't open the sunroof when its wet out?

I'd be confirming the leak entry point before changing anything. Your going to have to drop the roof liner anyway.
Old January 16th, 2013, 4:41 PM
CF Beginner

I don't understand how it gets past the gasket either. After looking at the diagram of the sunroof frame either its cracked or a gasket is gone right above the DIC because thats where its been coming in.
Swung by the local boneyard today and spoke to them about a used replacement. There glass guy happened to be there and he looked at it for me for afew mins. He gave me afew ideas and said its a long shot on the frame being bad but it could happen. Also mentioned afew things I can try and worst case the entire setup used is $150. I'm going to take it apart this weekend and see what I can find on my own. I do find it strange that GM changed the frame half way thru 04 too. I just hope it's as easy as some people have said if I need to replace it myself. Thanks again for the reply