Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

1990 Lumina Euro 3.1 - Heater blows cold air

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2012, 12:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Lumina Euro 3.1 - Heater blows cold air

I changed the thermostat, checked coolant levels, and the hoses going to and from the heater core reflect a good temp at hot levels. The blower works as it should yet when I move my selector to heat on my dash I only get cool air blown into the cab on both the vent and defrost settings. Is this an air temp selector problem? If so, how do I access it? How do you remove the dash to get to it. Or is this something else? A vacuum leak or fuse? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by 2cool4air; October 29th, 2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old October 29th, 2012, 6:00 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may be a combination of a faulty thermostat and a weak water pump. However, there could be an issue with the defroster itself. Check the wiring harness, the heating element, and the switch. Use a multimeter to see if power is getting to the defroster. If it is, then the heating element (those lines on the window) could be bad. Anything else could be another type of electrical problem.

Last edited by Jeff Collision; October 31st, 2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old October 30th, 2012, 1:24 AM
CF Beginner

I've been told by a couple of mechanics that it is probably the hot / cold blend door. Which sounds simple enough but is apparently bad news because of the amount of labor it takes to get to them. Anyone else think this is the likely culprit. If so, this might become merely a fair weather car.
Old October 30th, 2012, 1:51 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 2cool4air
I've been told by a couple of mechanics that it is probably the hot / cold blend door. Which sounds simple enough but is apparently bad news because of the amount of labor it takes to get to them. Anyone else think this is the likely culprit. If so, this might become merely a fair weather car.

yes the mechanics have suggested you right and i would say that its better to get this error solved by the mechanics as soon as you can as it may cause further damages to your car
Old October 30th, 2012, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

Ah I see... Considering the value of the car is $500 or less, I'm not sure I'm willing to spend that much to get heat at this point. I've been driving it this way about 5 months already. Hmmm... catch 22 I guess.
Old October 30th, 2012, 12:34 PM
CF Monarch

Received 350 Likes on 331 Posts

It sounds like the blend door actuator to me also. Considering the value of the car, I would suggest that you do it yourself if you are mechanical. If not get a friend to help who is more mechanically minded. I did it myself on my Silverado. I do admit that the Silverado is larger and has more room to get in.
Old November 17th, 2012, 3:52 AM
CF Beginner

So does anyone know how to determine if it is indeed the blend door / actuator thingee? Where exactly is this located. I've taken out my glove box and removed the dash down to the point that I can pull out the climate control center. From here on down it's gonna get messy. Can I access it from beneath?