Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

1998 Lumina 3.1; High temperature, then low

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2009, 3:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1998 Lumina 3.1; High temperature, then low

My car's been getting a high temperature, like to the red line, then something will literally "click" [a little click goes off] and the engine will literally cool itself down to normal range in seconds. Then, it will heat up again. Turns seem to cool it down slightly..

I took it to a shop and said I wanted a coolant flush and to check what might cause this. They said it's probably the Thermometer, which is what I thought too. It's a cheap part; Except they want like $100 to put it in!

So including the part itself, and the coolant flush, which is $70, that's pretty much 200 dollars..

How hard is it to replace a thermometer? I don't want to spend $120 on a part if they're not even sure that's what's causing this.

And, if it's important at all, my car runs perfectly fine when it's cool. Only when it warms up do I have the problem.
I don't have any white smoke coming from my exhaust, and sometimes my heater won't work. Actually, the heater works better after the engine cools itself off than when it's almost at the red line..

Last edited by Brando_is_dtf; June 9th, 2009 at 3:12 PM.
Old June 9th, 2009, 3:44 PM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Thermostats are pretty easy to replace. On some cars. (and on others, its like trying to solve a 3D puzzle)

Allthough it would take some time. Now, I'm not sure on your engine type, but its pretty much the same for all engines.
HINT : take pictures of every step you take.
First off, you need to disconnect your battery (first the negative one, then the positive one)
could be possible you need to disconnect some other parts as well, but as i already said, that depends on the kind of engine you have.(Usually its the aircleaner that gets in your way, but thats easily removed. ) But other parts like coolant reservoir and such, could be in your way as well.

Drain the radiator. (Its not necessary, but trust me... if you dont, it will get pretty messy. BEsides, it might just proove that your radiator is glogged, which will make all the rest unnecessary.). You can drain the radiator by disconnecting the lower hose. (Just get under your car, locate the radiator and you will find a hose there. Usually a screw will be enough to disconnect it. Make sure you've got something to catch the fluid with. There's a lot of liquid in it and its toxic if you drink it. You might find a tap there. But dont try to unbolt that. 9 times out of 10 you will end up with a broken tap. )
Now go to the upper part of your radiator (under your hood). There is a hose there as well. Follow it from the radiator to where it seems to enter the engine. It ends up in some kind of euhm...lets call it an elbow. (due to lack of better english on my part :-s )
Remove that hose from the elbow.
Now, that elbow is where the thermostat is. So you will need to remove that as well. Usually there is a bolt or two on the outside. Unscrew it and lift it up. There might also be a gasket that prevents the liquid from spilling, so dont loose that.
Once the elbow is removed you will find your thermostat. You can unscrew it easily.

Now...this is VERY VERY IMPORTANT !!! When you get your new thermostat , there will be an indication on the wrapping that tells you how much pressure you should put on it to screw it in the engine. Thats where you need a torque wrench (yes...i looked that word up in the dictionary) for!!!!!!!!!!! If you over tighten it, then it 'll be utterly useless.

Now, clean the elbow and the gasket (or insert a new gasket if you have one). Attach it back to the engine.
Then attach the upper hose. Dont forget the lower hose as well.
Reconnect the battery.
Fill her up with the right amount of liquid.

And done.
Are you still sure, they're asking waaay too much?
Old June 10th, 2009, 2:34 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

before you change thethermostat, check the coolant level...if its low, fill it up and watch for a leak.

No heat, and an overheating engine usually indicates low coolant
Old August 7th, 2009, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where it the air release/ bleeder for this vehicle?
My friend has the Same vehicle and it over heats as well i thought it was due to him needing a tune up since he hasnt done one in 2 years his fans go on when it gets hot but not enough to cool it before it over heats ,, I told him I thought a tune up and maybe bleed the air out of the engine would help.. he has no clue nor do i .. can someone guide a soul out here and let me know so i can help this guy out

Last edited by ladagosta; August 7th, 2009 at 7:41 PM.