Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

2000 Lumina Misfire under load lights dim in and out "Volt Light Comes On"

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2014, 11:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Lumina Misfire under load lights dim in and out "Volt Light Comes On"

Hey whats up guys, I have a troubleshooting question and would like to get some insight on what could possibly be causing the issue. The car is a 2000 Lumina 3100 with 162K miles on it and I recently had a TPS code and EGR low voltage code with the check engine light on. I fixed that issue about 3 months ago by replacing the TPS and cleaning out the EGR port and splicing in a new EGR plug because i had a break in it. That fixed the codes I was having and turned the Check Engine light off. I took it for emissions and it passed without any problems. But I noticed about a few weeks after that that I was getting a intermittent stuttering under load when driving here and there. Sometimes it would drive perfectly fine, other times it would misfire so bad that it would surge all over then it would go away. I know its not the Torque converter clutch because it would do it at a standstill at the light with my foot on the brake and the trans shifts fine. I wasnt getting a check engine light so I took it by a buddy of mine who had a nice Snap-on scanner. When it would occure I was getting a misfire in almost every cylinder. I took out the IAC and cleaned it up and drove the crap out of the car and it didnt happen for about 2 months. Now it is happening again without getting a check engine light again and i noticed that when it happens the lights dim then get bright and my "Volt" light on the dash will come on for a min until revs come up and then go away but the misfire still occurs, The Volt light and the dimming got me confused of what it could be. When this happens I have to stay easy on the gas to keep it from getting real bad. I looked at my plugs and they look a little ashy so I plan on changing then and the wires because it should be done anyways, I also plan on changing the fuel filter. Do you think the plugs and wires could be causing this? or maybe my ICM is failing or alternator is failing. I wouldn't think a failing a alternator would be causing a misfire though. Also I just put a new battery in about 2 months ago. Any help or pointing me at a probable solution would be very appreciated. The car runs great other then this problem and I would like to get a couple more years out of the car...
Thanks guys....

FYI, When I had the TPS code and EGR code I replaced the TPS before I messed with the EGR. I did spray some Carb cleaner down the TB, Would you think I damaged the TPS that I just put in or damaged the IAC? I would like to think the issue I am having has nothing to do with those 2 and its more of a ignition problem if anything. Or maybe a ground strap issue? Who the hell knows haha Thanks again

Phil

Last edited by Breze84; July 6th, 2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old July 7th, 2014, 9:12 AM
CF Beginner

Bump......
Old July 7th, 2014, 5:48 PM
CF Beginner

Changed the plugs and wires today. Still having the issue. .. any help
Old October 31st, 2019, 4:34 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Breze84
Hey whats up guys, I have a troubleshooting question and would like to get some insight on what could possibly be causing the issue. The car is a 2000 Lumina 3100 with 162K miles on it and I recently had a TPS code and EGR low voltage code with the check engine light on. I fixed that issue about 3 months ago by replacing the TPS and cleaning out the EGR port and splicing in a new EGR plug because i had a break in it. That fixed the codes I was having and turned the Check Engine light off. I took it for emissions and it passed without any problems. But I noticed about a few weeks after that that I was getting a intermittent stuttering under load when driving here and there. Sometimes it would drive perfectly fine, other times it would misfire so bad that it would surge all over then it would go away. I know its not the Torque converter clutch because it would do it at a standstill at the light with my foot on the brake and the trans shifts fine. I wasnt getting a check engine light so I took it by a buddy of mine who had a nice Snap-on scanner. When it would occure I was getting a misfire in almost every cylinder. I took out the IAC and cleaned it up and drove the crap out of the car and it didnt happen for about 2 months. Now it is happening again without getting a check engine light again and i noticed that when it happens the lights dim then get bright and my "Volt" light on the dash will come on for a min until revs come up and then go away but the misfire still occurs, The Volt light and the dimming got me confused of what it could be. When this happens I have to stay easy on the gas to keep it from getting real bad. I looked at my plugs and they look a little ashy so I plan on changing then and the wires because it should be done anyways, I also plan on changing the fuel filter. Do you think the plugs and wires could be causing this? or maybe my ICM is failing or alternator is failing. I wouldn't think a failing a alternator would be causing a misfire though. Also I just put a new battery in about 2 months ago. Any help or pointing me at a probable solution would be very appreciated. The car runs great other then this problem and I would like to get a couple more years out of the car...
Thanks guys....

FYI, When I had the TPS code and EGR code I replaced the TPS before I messed with the EGR. I did spray some Carb cleaner down the TB, Would you think I damaged the TPS that I just put in or damaged the IAC? I would like to think the issue I am having has nothing to do with those 2 and its more of a ignition problem if anything. Or maybe a ground strap issue? Who the hell knows haha Thanks again

Phil
Hi I had a new 1990 Chevy Corsica with a 3..1 engine best motor I ever saw. Chevrolet build. I noticed that it would wobble side ways when the oil needed changing and every 5000 miles I changed the plugs and. Oil filter when it rea had reach 100'000 miles I change the water pump radiator and heater core. The one thing you never do is jump start another. Car. Your blow the computer.