Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

4T65E transmissions?

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2012, 8:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sludge in radiator...

Hi,

This is the second post I make in this forum as I am a newbie.

I have the 3.4 V6 Front Wheel Drive Impala and I have had the issue of taking the vehicle to get serviced or get the engine over hauled twice.

In 2007, as a matter of coincidence, I had the experience of noticing the vehicle's engine temperature reach the hot position in the odometer-cluster-reading. I popped the hood open and noticed a hissing sound from the engine and suddenly felt no pressure from the upper radiator hose. After 15 minutes I was able to drive vehicle at very low speed home. When I arrived home a trusted engine mechanic told me that I had worn out cylinder-head-gaskets.

For this job I paid around $700 for parts and labor.

For labor I paid $200; for parts I paid $100 for cylinder heads check up and fixing, $200 for new fans, and $200 for head gaskets.

This situation occurred to me for the second time in 2010 and I ended up paying $200 less since since I replaced the fans a year earlier and up to now are still working good.

However, after these two engine overhauls, and even after the radiator coolant flushes, while I perform periodic checks to the level of coolant on the radiator, I notice sludge in the radiator cap. Is this something normal in these vehicles?
Old May 22nd, 2012, 9:36 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> rodo01,

Thank you for providing your zip code. Unfortunately I cannot quote the diagnosis fee, as fees vary. I would suggest contacting your preferred dealer and asking for a diagnosis fee estimate before taking the vehicle in.

Below is a listing of Service Centers near you, closest to furthest.

FIESTA CHEVROLET
4002 SOUTH HIGHWAY 281
EDINBURG, TX 78542-2666
Phone: (956) 867-0571

CHARLES CLARK CHEVROLET CO.
801-915 W HWY 83
MC ALLEN, TX 78501-8501
Phone: (956) 686-5441

BERT OGDEN CHEVROLET, INC.
1400 E EXPY 83
MISSION, TX 78572-6611
Phone: (956) 581-1111

WESLACO MOTORS LP
2401 E EXPY 83
WESLACO, TX 78596-5512
Phone: (956) 969-2525

I hope this information is useful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 22nd, 2012, 1:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbeauty89
do these tranny's turn to junk at around 100,000miles? my 05 monte carlo LT has 95,000 on it and my trans is doing some weird stuff. eariler this week it was low on fluid somehow and i can't find a leak. ever since it's been acting up. but it only seems to do it when accelerating from a stop or a roll and only 1st gear. it feels like a slip and a jerk or maybe it's just a hard downshift from second. i'm not sure what's going on with it but i know it isn't normal. UUUGGHHH!!!!
You should look at the cooling lines that run to the transmission to the radiator in the front area. I had a similar situation on my Cadillac and what it was was the cooling lines were rusted out and it would leak fluid from that area. There are 2 cooling lines down there look like in front of the left wheel on the bottom of the engine. They tend to bolt them in a clamp(and this is where it rusts out) and then continue onto to the radiator.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 1:20 PM
CF Active Member

Did you had the intake manifold gasket replaced due to the dexcool going into the intake manifold. There was a big problem with the 3.4 and a big recall for this problem!
Old May 24th, 2012, 1:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by capucine
Did you had the intake manifold gasket replaced due to the dexcool going into the intake manifold. There was a big problem with the 3.4 and a big recall for this problem!

I never got a letter in the mail about this recall.

If this was the case I don't think the recall cannot go on anymore right?
Old May 25th, 2012, 6:39 AM
CF Active Member

There was no mail recall. It was in the newspaper and if I remember in the internet. Each cases was dealed separatly and you had a time limit and millage to have access to this repair. The problem was with the 3.4 engine up to 2003 models. 2004 models were supposed to be okay. The problem was with the gasket material that was some sort of plastic material and it was replaced with a different material. Apparently the dexcool was the problem with this plastic gasket.
Old May 25th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbeauty89
yea i checked everything afterwards. although on the invoice there wasn't a mark that they replaced the trans filter..so i don't know what to make of that.

but i'm pretty sure i know the problem. and that would be the EPC solenoid. i guess those tend to go bad on these transmissions. but i haven't went to see if i'm throwing a code or not.
Yeah, yanno, I don't like that. Many arrogant mechanics decide "they know

what's best for you" and then tell you what you want to hear, while

doing what they like. IME, it's IMPOSSIBLE to remove the

transmission bolts and

pan on a used vehicle without disturbing the road dirt covering them.

There's no such thing as an immaculate conception here, and the fact

remains that while back-flushes are beneficial, they can't repair

a badly clogged transmission filter. PERIOD.

So the impression I get is your filter was never changed...
Old May 25th, 2012, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default transmissions problem

i have chevrolet malibu 2011 with 11000 millas and this car don't go forward just reverse and i don't know what i can do i sent the car to Ecuador the chevrolet in there don't whant do nothing and te mechanic need jelp have 2 codes P0700 and P0723 thanks
Old July 17th, 2013, 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2000 Chevy Venture Transmission Problem

Hello all as title says i have a venture and i am wondering how difficulty is it to replace the input or output bearing thats behind the trans axle seal on the pass side any help will be great.