Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

91 Lumina Stalls & Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2010, 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Lumina Stalls & Won't Start

Just bought my son a 91' Lumina with the 3.1 in it. Starts when cold and runs fine then stalls after about 5 minutes. It was firing right back up but now it has to sit awhile and cool down before it starts back up. Throttle position sensor is new and it's getting fuel up to where the fuel line hooks up right by the TPS sensor. When running the idle kinda lopes but when you accelerate it runs awesome. I am suspecting something electronic because when it cools back down it fires right back up. I am not familiar with these cars and I'm hoping there is a easy fix. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Ranger#83; July 1st, 2010 at 9:28 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, I have 3 trouble codes as follows: 22-TPS signal low but the TPS is brand new and installed correctly, there's only 1 way to install it 33-MAP sensor signal high 35-idle speed error any ideas on the culprit??
Old July 14th, 2010, 3:51 PM
CF Junior Member

EGR stuck open? - IAC? - sounds like vacuum if not those
Old July 16th, 2010, 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

Replaced the IAC, all other sensors/etc. tested good. Broke down and took it to the shop, seems the fuel injectors are shot. At $80 a pop, this car is getting to be more then it's worth . Paid $550 for it and it's not a roach, has 144,000 on it. The big 3 sure did make alot of crap in the 80's and 90's. Oh well, I just hope it lasts him 2 years till he graduates HS.
Old July 18th, 2010, 6:00 PM
CF Beginner

I had a similar problem with mine (a 97 LS), but mine would run longer before acting up.

It wound up being a rusty post on one of the coil packs, a cheap and easy fix.

Another possibility would be the ECM.

Hope that helps.
Old July 19th, 2010, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

ECM and coils tested out fine.
Old July 20th, 2010, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

Mine all tested out fine as well (a mechanic had the car for about 2 weeks). I finally found the problem when I removed the plug wires and visually checked the coil packs.

Just a thought.
Old August 18th, 2010, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default Lumina Hot Start Problem

I have 97 Lumina V6 which sometimes will not start when hot. Engine cranks fine. After 15 min. starts and runs fine. any ideas? sound similar but different than othe problem in this thread
Old August 19th, 2010, 8:54 AM
CF Junior Member

does run perfectly after it starts? - I bet it's a coil pack - mine used to do that all the time... if it ever seems like it wants to stall, etc when you are driving, I'd check all plug wires, coil packs, etc... doesn't sound like a fuel situation though - still, that's easy enough to check too when the engine is warm, but I'd look at spark first.
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Z15
CF Beginner

I have a 93 Lumina with 3.1. Can't tell you for sure if this is your problem but a few years back I experienced erratic stalling and no start conditions over about a month. Turned out to be the ecm (computer). Seems its a well know problem for this era GM cars of this style. Its easy to determine if its the computer. Find the ecm (metal box) and with engine running tap on the box with a plastic handle screw driver, don't use anything that is metal to tap on it or you could short it out if not the problem. If its the ecm it will stall immediately. There is a short in the circuit board.

Quick Reply: 91 Lumina Stalls & Won't Start