Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

92 Lumina - dies in drive and reverse - ok in park/neutral

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2012, 1:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 92 Lumina - dies in drive and reverse - ok in park/neutral

1992 chevy lumina coupe 2.2 4cyl, 3-speed automatic 197,000 miles

I really need some suggestions here how to fix this. The car only does this randomly. Its only happened once, but I dont want to be out somewhere when it happens again. Its my daily driver for school and back and I need to fix it NOW.

I was driving around that day, not very much. I was on E so I put 20 bucks in and gave me half a tank. I went to recyling, the bank, and my dads house. Came back home to pick up the hubby to show him how my car was running.

On a long road with no stops I decided to stomp on it, to make sure everything was strong and running right. When I came to the stoplight, it died. I started it back up in park, ran perfect until I put it into drive and died right away light someone turned it off. it didnt stall slowly, it cut off quick. I started it up again in park, ran fine, put it in reverse and it died then too. I started it up in nuetral as well and lay on the gas and put it into drive to see if that would help but it didnt. I finally sat there for half an hour and tried it again and it worked and I drove it home.

What could this be?

After this, I replaced fuel filter, plugs, wires, serp belt, heater core, radiator cap (was leaking bad) But I am too afraid to get stranded to take it out driving again.

I was told that it might be the torque converter lock up solenoid?

Parts that have been replaced before is alternator, tensior, starter, catlytic converter, and motor mount.

Please help!

My husband is a mechanic and we cant think of anything except lock up solenoid.