Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

93 Lumina Z34 electrical and starting problems

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2012, 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 93 Lumina Z34 electrical and starting problems

Ok this is a two part question.

first of all I have a 1993 Lumina Z34. It has something weird going on with it. When ever I turn right the car stalls and sometimes when you apply the breaks juat after the idle drops off and stall. Sometimes it starts right back up but sometimes it acts like the battery is dead and starter just clicks. The dome light is dim or non existant and then it acts like its a dead battery. Even when jumped it doesnt want to start. Then out of the blue the light gets bright and it will start no problems. Stranded us on a main road the other dat for an hour even when two people helped with jumps. Battery is good alternator shows a charge as well belts are good to. Any ideas?

2. After driving the car for about 60 or so miles I looked over to the dash and saw my wife CC'd at 68 miles an hour foot on the floor 3/4 tank of gas lightly charging and looooowwww tempature. Then I looked again she was doing 75mph we were discharging temp was climbing and we had no gas at all. The speedo and tach would bounce around. We paniced bought gas and restarted the car .Gas now reads full tank charging correctly and normal car temp. some times the car will stall when its idling just before the electric fans come on it will stall.

3. The 3rd brake light does not work at all. It has good bulbs as well and all fuses are good but no 3rd brake light... Where does it hook up at in the back?

Please help my wife is physically disabled and cant do anything to work on the car if it strands her. It only has 120,000 miles on it as well. I noticed it was a quart low. Could it be triggering the low oil pressure sensor?

waiting unpatiently for answers.

Last edited by LuminaZ34; March 2nd, 2012 at 1:46 PM. Reason: typos