Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

95 Monte Carlo Alternator Flip

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2011, 9:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Monte Carlo Alternator Flip

I did some searching and found nothing where anyone has done this already. My friend has a 95 Monte Carlo and we are fairly certain the alternator has died. Put a new battery in, car started right up. 5 minutes of driving, dead again. Another buddy claims the starter is dead, but why would the car start up if the starter was dead?

After some investigation as to where the alternator was located (its underneath the engine, next to the firewall), I soon realized that I would either need to lift or drop the entire engine just to change the damn thing. I can feel it if I take the wheel off and stick my hand in through the wheel well where the inner tie rod runs through. Then I got this idea to install a new alternator diagonally opposite the old one, on top of the engine, and 'reverse' the belt. The belt would still pull the same way on all the pullys, just in a different order. I would then unplug the old alternator and either run a new line or rerun the old one.

Has this been done? In theory it sounds very possible. It sure would make changing the alternator again a hell of a lot easier. If anyone has any tips on this, they would be greatly appreciated
Old July 21st, 2011, 1:15 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds feasible to me. If you try it, post back and let us know if it works out.