Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

96 chevy lumina missfire cyl #2

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2011, 4:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 chevy lumina missfire cyl #2

My lumina had a check engine light come on, and during the ride I noticed that the coolant temp. gauge started going up and down, the temp goes up to near the red zone then goes down to less or normal operating temps within 10 seconds. The temp jumps to near the red zone and goes back down nearly right away once every 10 mins, never staying high on the meeter for longer than 10-20 sec and never breaching to red zone of the meeter. The change of the meeter is very fast going up in approx 1 second, staying high right below the red zone for approx 10 sec, then reducing within 1-2 sec to normal/below normal operating temps...

check engine reads cylinder #2, replaced spark plugs and came back, check engine cyl #2 came back several times, now has gone away, leaving the same temp. issues however.

Mechanic I took it to said that it may be the head gasket starting to go possibly releasing some gasoline into the coolant.

However, I'm not so sure, coolant levels are perfectly accurate to where they should be the engine is a rebuild with 20k miles, and only about 2 years used. There are no signs of any leakage of any fluids at all everything is optimal, last time I dealt with a headgasket in a 3.1 there were major leakage issues and the heat did not just go back down on its own it stayed hot unless turned off...

any other ideas on what it may be?
Old March 7th, 2011, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ideas

I had my 98 lumina #1 cylinder misfire code. Turned out to be the fuel injector. Just an idea...