Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

96 Lumina A/C Issue - Please help

Old July 9th, 2013, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 96 Lumina A/C Issue - Please help

New member here with hopefully an easy issue for the forum to identify for me.

I have a 96 Lumina with the 3.1L V6 purchased within the last year. I am having an issue with the A/C functioning properly that popped up about a month ago. (just in time for hot Louisiana summer)

-About 60% of the time when starting car and turning A/C on, blowing through front vents - no issues at all.
-The rest of the time, when starting the car and turning A/C on, blowing through front vents - the air will redirect to defrost and floor vents under any acceleration. Sometimes when I let off the gas and/or come to a stop...the air returns through the front vents. Other times it does not, it remains in defrost and floor despite the vent control being on Max A/C through front vents. I know on some other cars (and maybe even these as well) that a vacuum leak can cause the air to divert to the floor under acceleration. BUT....
-It doesn't always do this. As said above, 60% of the time, I go about my business, A/C on, out of front vents only, accelerate, stop, accelerate, etc. and no issues. It stays blowing hard and out of proper vents. I would think a vacuum leak would always be there once it surfaces, not back and forth. I could be wrong about that though...
-To add another kink, I would say about a good 80% of the time that it DOES divert to the defrost and floor under acceleration that I discovered by pure accident that it will "correct" itself if I simply shut the motor off for about 15 seconds and restart. The other 20% it may take two to three key cycles for it to work.
-New development as of yesterday. Now sometimes upon starting the car, the air is already diverted to defrost and floor no matter the vent setting on the controls. No change when accelerating and stopping when it is already diverted upon starting. But like the other issue, a key cycle or two corrects it.

A faulty component? Vacuum leak somewhere? Combination of both?

So does anyone have a diagnosis? Thanks in advance for the help!

-Chad

Last edited by 96Lumina; July 9th, 2013 at 4:13 PM. Reason: Added motor
Old September 12th, 2013, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

Well I just posted a big long explanation of the problem and the site didn't take it. long story short, it's a vacuum leak. Check the vacuum hoses that go to the vacuum cannister in front of the drivers side front tire. They get old and brittle.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 8:46 AM
CF Active Member

I have a 96 Lumina that just turned 150,000 miles . I discovered the vacuum resivoir was missing ?

I agree , vacuum lines , fittings , devices , or something messed up or unplugged .

Check the hard plastic vacuum line going to the resivoir , especially if it passes by / under the battery , as mine does .

The change in A/C function with change in throttle position is a dead give away .

Years ago , another car I had , ended up putting a check valve between the intake manafold vacuum port and the resivoir .

That cured a problem of loosing vacuum on acceleration . There was enough vacuum in the resivoir to tide things over , until throttle position returned to " normal " .

God bless
Wyr