Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

96 Lumina no start cold

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2010, 8:04 AM
mdl
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Lumina no start cold

Hey guys i have a 96 lumina, 6 cyl 170,000 just bought it. And when i start it in the morning it will start for a second then stall. It will keep doing that untill i give it some gas. Once i let off it will die. After it warms up it will idel, but exetremly low. like 300-400 rpms. No check engin light. Im thinking IDEL CONTROL VALVE? or TPS? i bought it cheap and cant afford dumping tons of money in it. So any thoughts? Thanks in advanced.
Old January 16th, 2011, 11:48 PM
CF Beginner

Okay, first off need to pull the air duct off and clean the throttle body assembly. A throttle body with excessive carbon buildup will cause a low idle condition and may cause stalling on a cold start. Cleaning the throttle body is an easy procedure. 1 can of carb cleaner, a tooth brush and a shop rag is all you need to properly clean a dirty throttle body. Just prop open the throttle butterfly and spray carb cleaner into throttle body. Scrub throttle bore and butterfly with toothbrush and wipe dry with shop rag. When restarting engine, engine my not start right off. Light throttle application may need to be applied to keep engine running while burning off excess carb cleaner. After engine runs for a few seconds, snap throttle to "clear" intake of excess cleaner. If this does not help low idle condition, clean Idle Air Control Valve. This valve can also affect idle quality, but is a less likely issue.
Old December 31st, 2012, 2:35 PM
CF Beginner

My mothers car is doing the same. Cleaned Tb. Same issue. Idles real low and only starts if you press the gas a little. No ses light. What did yours turn out to be?
Old December 31st, 2012, 3:03 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

It's fuel related, and my take it's mechanical, not TBI or MAF ect. There is a fuel pressure regulator sets low drivers side up front. Easy access with air intake hose removed. try that. My 96 3.1 has been replaced by prior owner, but that is one problem I've not had with it. I have a 2000 suburban 5.3L. Low idle ect. on it, turns out the fuel regulator was the issue.
Old January 1st, 2013, 7:01 AM
CF Beginner

Any way to test the reg? Where is it? On the rail?
Old January 1st, 2013, 8:07 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Since it's wet, and cold I will post this link to auto zone that shows the regulator instead of posting a pix.
Fuel Pressure Regulator | 1996 Chevrolet Lumina-Sedan/Coupe 6 Cylinders M 3.1L Pull the vacuum hose off, if there is gas in it, the diaphram is bad, replace it.