Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

97 chevy lumina dont know whats wrong.

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2013, 2:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 chevy lumina dont know whats wrong.

I have a 1997 chevy lumina that is leaking Tranny fluid out of a breather pressure tube(?) On top of the bell housing.I have not been able to find this on any diagrams and i am not sure if this is the correct name for it. There are no leaks anywhere else, any suggestions? I am looking for the best and cheapest way to fix. Also it will start and stop leaking randomly while idling and when i try to replace the fluid that was pushed out it comes up the fill tube. it is not over filled and I just changed the transmission filter.
Old September 12th, 2013, 8:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you say you just changed the transmission fluid, how did you measure your fluid when finished? Was the car running and in neutral and you checked the dip stick? You didn't fill the transmission till the dip stick indicated full with the car shut off, did you? Sounds like you have too much fluid. Someone else that knows more than me should be by later to help. Good luck.