Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

97 Lumina running poorly at low speeds.

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2018, 9:25 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Still no dtc? The throttle position sensor is the next in line, but I doubt that's it.
Old January 10th, 2018, 9:30 PM
CF Monarch

Replace the inline fuel filter
Old January 11th, 2018, 4:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel pretty dumb for forgetting this, but, the dash lights in this car are not 100% reliable. 5 years ago my wife picked a fight with with flash flooding in this car and lost. The only thing we weren't able to fix after that was that the dash lights sometimes turn on or off when they shouldn't. I'll check with an OBD scan after work today.
Old January 11th, 2018, 8:34 AM
CF Monarch

I'd look at spark plugs at this point
Old January 12th, 2018, 3:58 AM
CF Beginner

The OBD scan showed cylinder misfires. I expected that, but hoped for something else that would give me a clue as to why. And the fact I got anything at all tells me the check engine light isn't working properly, but that's a completely different problem.

Anyway, I went in to check the spark plugs, and saw that the insulation on some of the wires was charred and the copper exposed. The plugs themselves are pretty dirty too. I cleaned them, bought new plugs, and ordered new wiring for them. Going to hold off on replacing them until the new wiring is in place.
Old January 12th, 2018, 3:13 PM
CF Monarch

I think the cigarette lighter fuse is in the circuit for the check engine light. Post the codes you have.
Old January 12th, 2018, 3:15 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Rnizz
The OBD scan showed cylinder misfires. I expected that, but hoped for something else that would give me a clue as to why. And the fact I got anything at all tells me the check engine light isn't working properly, but that's a completely different problem.

Anyway, I went in to check the spark plugs, and saw that the insulation on some of the wires was charred and the copper exposed. The plugs themselves are pretty dirty too. I cleaned them, bought new plugs, and ordered new wiring for them. Going to hold off on replacing them until the new wiring is in place.
I bet replacing those your problem goes away.
Old January 15th, 2018, 6:50 PM
CF Beginner

New wires, new plugs, running perfectly. Thanks for the help.