Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

97 lumina, where's the engine block ground cable?

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2019, 4:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 lumina, where's the engine block ground cable?

My car went from running perfectly to extremely rough with flickering dash lights literally overnight. OBD2 codes show MAF and O2 sensor faults, random cylinder misfires, and a transmission chip fault. I was told that they all relied on electrical grounds to the car's chassis, and if that ground failed it would explain so many things going wrong at once. I was told to check the negative battery terminal to chassis cable, and a ground cable from the engine block to the firewall. I took care of the cable from the battery terminal, but I can't find the engine block to firewall cable. Any help finding it? It's a 97 lumina 3.1L.

Also, would a fault with that cable actually cause all this, or am I getting bad advice?
Old May 22nd, 2019, 9:54 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Grounds will cause alot of issues. If you cannot find the opposite battery end of the ground cable, you've probably found your problem. Doesn't matter where on the engine it is grounded, as long as it is grounded, make sure where ever is clean metal to metal connection.