Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

98 Lumina won't start due to electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2012, 4:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Lumina won't start due to electrical problem

My car is at the dealership right now with the diagnosis bill going up and up! They have spent 3 hours on it and still can't find the problem. My daughter drove the car and came home no problem, then when I tried to start it, the engine wouldn't engage. It turns over just fine because I recently got a new battery and alternator. I had the car towed to my regular mechanic who initially thought it was the fuel pump. He checked that and it was fine. He couldn't find the problem and I had to have it towed to the dealership. The car was experiencing some hesitation uphill and a couple of times the week before, the blinker just stopped working. I pushed and released the emergency flasher button and the blinker started working again. I have been looking online for a consistent electrical problem, and it looks like no one can figure these things out because no one really has an answer. The ignition cylinder is the closest I've seen, but it seems like the dealership would have already checked that before removing the seats. Is there anyone who has actually FIXED this problem?
Old January 19th, 2012, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently the wiring harness in the back had loose wires. The mechanic said that wouldn't happen on its own, someone would have had to have worked on it sometime in the past. Would any routine type repairs require working on the wiring harness?