Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Air Bag cover on a '98 Lumina

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2011, 9:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Bag cover on a '98 Lumina

How can I repair the air bag cover on the passenger side of my 98 Lumina? Right now it's hard from the cold. Can it be heated safely and re-glued? What steps do I take to make it safe to work on?

Old October 21st, 2011, 1:39 PM
CF Beginner

I have been searching for the same solution! If anyone knows how to remove that panle please post up instructions and a link if possible. If not a detailed instruction would be most appreciated. Is there any risk of air bag deployement by removal of this cover. I have found a replacement on a junkyard car, but I dont know how to remove and replace it. Thanks
Old October 21st, 2011, 5:12 PM
CF Beginner

I found dash kits that basically bury the existing dash with a cover. Dollar for dollar they seem like the best route. You can google them pretty easy.
Old November 4th, 2011, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Figured I would stop back in with the fix since I couldnt find the answer anywhere on the net. I went to the junkyard and found one in good condition matching color and I used a large screwdriver and pryed the front right hand corner up and then the left. There are 4 snap sockets that hold it in place and it pops right up and pulls right out. It does have mesh type thing connected to the cover and the dash I guess to prevent it from being a projectile in the event of an accident. I cut that mesh away and replaced it with the new one. Took less than 5 minutes to remove and install.