Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Any transmission experts?

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2017, 3:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any transmission experts?

Hello Everyone!

A week ago I picked up a 2002 Monte with the 3.4 engine. It has 122,000 miles on it. I have started to notice some odd behavior from the transmission. When I am going anywhere from 25 mph to 40 mph with very light throttle application, just enough to maintain speed on flat ground, the RPMs will drop from 1500 RPM down to 1000 and it sounds like the engine is lugging. With the slightest increase in throttle, or sometimes without any, the RPMs shoot back to anywhere between 1500 and 2000. It seems like to me the torque converter is constantly locking and unlocking. Should there be lockup at such low speeds? There are no warning lights on, nor codes in the computer. The transmission is NOT slipping, it makes nice normal shifts. The fluid looks a little dark, but isn't too bad. I've read that a simple dirty MAF sensor can mess with these transmissions. Is this true? I'm curious as to the most likely cause, and am hoping it doesn't involve a new transmission.

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice everyone!