Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

auto trans to maual trans for street stock race car.

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2009, 2:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb auto trans to manual trans for street stock race car.

I was wondering if there is a manual transmission that would line up to my 1997 Chevy Lumina, to convert the car to a street stock race car. I don't know much about this type of racing but the rules said it was o.k. to use manual transmissions. I wouldn't think a auto trans would be a very good idea. I use to work on my sons mini sprint but this street stock seems like a lot more fun and cheaper. The cars are basicly stock with the exception of a roll cage and mods. to the gas tank,no glass,weld the doors and a racing seat with a harness. I'm retired and would have help with the major mechanic stuff. I'm not a skilled auto mechanic but did work on jet aircraft. If I can get a suggestion about the manual trans I just might consider the street stock

Last edited by bouttree; August 7th, 2009 at 3:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:47 PM
CF Active Member

i'm not sure what motor is it a 3.1 or 3.4 or did ya get lucky and have a 3.8... i'm not sure if they had manuals but posibly for a pontiac grand am or grand prix
Old October 3rd, 2009, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

To answer your question, yes there are transmissions that will work in a 97 lumina. It however would NOT be a good idea to run in a race car. The Getrag 282 would work but would not hold up to much power and the punishment of racing. The getrag 284 would hold the power but they are no longer made and parts are no longer made and are very rare. If you broke the transmission, you would be up a creek. Your best be would be to get an auto built to hold power and just go with that. Here is a link to a site that can build your auto trans to be suitable for racing:
http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/