Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Electrical issue with instrument panel

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2012, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical issue with instrument panel

Anyone had this problem? 97 Lumina blows the I/P electronics (instrument panel) fuse. Situation is this: turn on ignition (but not started) and put in any gear (inc neutral), replace fuse, and it is fine, instruments work. Put car into park and the fuse blows. Replacing fuse while in park blows instantly. Have eliminated the cluster as a problem, as it still blows with instrument panel disconnected. Thanks!
Old July 3rd, 2012, 5:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:
Pulled wire connectors from brake light switch, then put car in park/key on, fuse held. Connected wires, still good. Pressed switch in (so brake lights would be off) and fuse blew. Also, speedo is stuck at max, but everything else works till that switch button is pushed. Pretty sure it's the rear (more than 2) wire connector that has the issue.

And more:
The problem wires are the pink and green pair. My manual does not show this switch with six wires, so I'm not sure what they are. I left that connector unplugged, everything works. Guessing one pair goes to the cruise control to turn it off when the brakes are applied. The brake lites are controlled by the connector with two wires. Fixed the speedo by removing trim overburden, then cluster plastic and returning needle to 0. It now works OK.

Last edited by thunderhead; July 3rd, 2012 at 7:46 PM.