Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Fan Issue

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2017, 7:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan Issue

Hey guys, I have a 1996 Lumina, and my heat went out, sorta. It stopped working, so I bought a new relay, popped it in Fan Cont 1 and nothing. Popped it in Fan Cont 2, still nothing, so I just left the new one in. Swapped out the fuse for the Blower Motor. Nothing. But after that the heat blows fairly lightly while I’m driving. I then topped off the coolant, and bleed the system, and still only working while driving. Obviously there’s a few things related to the heat/blower fans, but does anybody know if there’s a precise thing that I need to replace or fix? Nothing I find online is specific to my problem so I don’t want to have to buy all the parts and replace everything possibly connected to my problem if I don’t have to.
Old December 4th, 2017, 8:51 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Is the blower blowing? My guess is the thermostat has failed, open. Do you have any movement on the temperature gauge with it running, "warmed up?"
Old December 5th, 2017, 6:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Is the blower blowing? My guess is the thermostat has failed, open. Do you have any movement on the temperature gauge with it running, "warmed up?"
No, I forgot to mention that. The gauge didn’t work before the heat stopped working. It’s always saying it’s at 100. Before I swapped out the relay, if I turned the fan off completely it would go to the middle sometimes, and back down to 100 when I turned them on even though nothing was coming out of the vents.
Old December 5th, 2017, 2:21 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

With it "cold", and running, squeeze the top radiator hose, if you feel flow through it, replace the thermostat. This isn't as easy as it sounds.