Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

FIX-Splits in plastic bumper cover & how to remove bumper cover & air ram, 07 monte

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2023, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FIX-Splits in plastic bumper cover & how to remove bumper cover & air ram, 07 monte

Hi,

What started this is I needed to reattached my front license plate holder. But I could Not get to the back side of the bumper cover to add washers for the new 3 rivets. So I had to remove the bumper cover. Without back side washers, the rivets kept pulling out over time.

I removed my 07 Stock Monte Carlo front bumper cover and air ram(bottom large black plastic cover under bumper) to repair any broken/split plastic (using common super glue(not gel)(Walmart duro brand) and baking soda) and just make sure it's all tight and back to OEM.
I took pics and wanted to share the steps and experience for anyone needing the same.

I don't think I could have repair the main large bumper split without removing the bumper cover.

TOOLS NEEDED:
10mm deep socket w/extension, 9/32"(or metric equivalent) socket, plastic retainer-clips removal tool, (spare retainer-clips from salvage yard) several small tubes of super glue and some baking soda, some rubbing alcohol and a rag and patience.

Remove retainer-clips and 9/32" hex head bolts all around: the underside of the air ram(also the 3 10mm bolts).
Don't try to remove the air ram without the bumper cover coming off. It seems you may break something if you did.
Access and release the nylon retaining head of the 3 bumper cover forward bottom retainers, removal tool can access through the front of the lower bottom grill.

Remove both headlight assemblies, by pulling up on the retaining prong with hand and remove 9/32" bolt on fender end. Pull headlight assemblies carefully forward and out. Unplug wiring harness and set assemblies in a safe keep place.

Remove fender liner 9/32" bolts & plastic retainer-clips where attachment to bumper cover is made and the back 9/32" screw at back of fender liner and a few more than needed to allow the fender liner to easily flex out of place/be moved out of place of blocking access to bumper cover ends.

Use 10mm socket with extension to remove upside down bolt which is at either ends of bumper cover, accessible from wheel well. Use 10mm socket to loosen a lot the upside down nut, which locks the slider hook into position, accessible from headlight assembly hole.

Slide the slider hook on each end of the bumper cover out of their hook/hole. Bumper bottom will now tilt and fall some.
Remove the retainer-clips in front of the radiator top. Be ready, the bumper cover is not completely disconnected. Remove bumper cover and air ram will fall out with it.

The air ram does not appear to be made to be removed without removal of the bumper cover, or it could be damaged, trying to force/flex it all in.
Therefore when you reinstall it all, you will need to place the air ram inside the bumper cover before installing it all. I'd try actually attaching the air ram to the bumper cover bottom edge with the retaining clips to make installation positioning easier.

Once you have it all off:

Inspect your license plate holder to see if its attachment needs any repair/attention.
Note there are 2 loosely (kind of flop around) attached cupped air director pieces inside the air ram on each side. If they are broken loose, repair them. If they have come out of place, reposition them. There are plastic fingers these air directors sit inside. If any of the plastic hooks are broken from these air directors, then cut off a small piece of plastic ribbing from the air ram and super glue-baking soda onto the air director to act as a replacement hook.
For my 2 air directors, I went ahead and super glue and baking soda them more solidly into their positions-place. It seems to me the only reason they are made removable is for their original assembly.

Inspect all the plastic for any cracks and tears and repair:
To repair(I use super glue and baking soda, the best thing I've found. I see on YouTube these expensive plastic repair kits and heat guns, seems a complicated risky way to go):
Clean the mating surfaces with rubbing alcohol and a cloth and allow to dry.
Apply liquid super glue to both mating surfaces, avoid drippings. If it's a large break, you might need to glue in sections if you can't hold it all back together in place while bonding.
Press the mating surfaces together and hold for a coupe of minutes. Now rewet the seam of the repair with more super glue then sprinkle the wet seam with baking soda. There is a slight chemical heat reaction, causing the baking soda to bond and harden and make the repair stronger and more instantaneously than just the super glue. Blow off the loose excess baking soda and repeat the process until you have build up enough to fill the crack as needed and for strength. Do this to both the front and back side of the split/crack.
The repair can still be weak while curing. Let large repairs sit say at least an hour before stressing the repair/reinstalling the bumper cover.

My cover had one complete large crack/split and a smaller one. Previous owner bumping into something?
My headlight plastic retainer housing also had a crack. I repaired it all with the super glue and baking soda.
If you have a paint pen the same color as the cover, you can paint on the repair line to help conceal it better from a distance.

Yes the repair split area is unsightly but for a vehicle this old that was never waxed/sealed, it looks age appropriate and the repair will weather and blend in a bit more over time.
I bet if someone wanted to, they could lightly sand and paint over the repair just fine.

Pics below(not necessarily in chronological order)

Take care

After repair (I didn't take a pic of before repair but this split were bad/big, like the cover was going to split in two)

Access to release the 3 main retainer nylon round head plugs-pull down:

Air ram retainers:

Remove last-top retainers-cover will fall off:

10mm socket w/extension to get to the upside down bolt-but you have to release enough of the fender liner to gently move it out of the way for access:

Headlight assemblies removal (pull up on nylon hook on inside, remove bolt on outside):

Reinstalled, cracks repaired, strong now:

The worst crack/split repaired, still a bit ugly but strong now(if I find a dark blue paint pen, I'll paint over it to help hide some):

Air ram removed (one of the air directors partially visible):

Curing after super glue and baking soda applied:

Also used super glue baking soda on this plastic crack:

Last edited by jimtmcdaniels; August 30th, 2023 at 6:27 PM.