Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Getting back into the Luminas (picking up a 97 AND a 99)

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2018, 5:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into the Luminas (picking up a 97 AND a 99)

(97 and 99) I just need the basic info. Common issues? Common part failures? Common remedies and rigging? Etc. Want to pick these up for cheap, but want a reminder of the common faults, issues, and fixes before I go get it. Also, can a 97 engine be swapped with a 99 or vice versa without a ecm swap? Thanks in Advance.

-V/R,
Mike

Last edited by Mighty Mega Mike; October 5th, 2018 at 8:50 PM.
Old October 5th, 2018, 7:05 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I still drive a 96. Most issues are with age. Hose's, ect.
I've replaced the ecm twice since I've had it.
Old October 5th, 2018, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default Response

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
I still drive a 96. Most issues are with age. Hose's, ect.
I've replaced the ecm twice since I've had it.
Cool I knew about the Intake Manifold Gasket And Head Gasket issues and that’s not that big of a deal. Hoses and ECM aren’t either so I’m good on that too. As long as their is minimal reason for me to pull the engine for repairs I’m good. I got a Jeep in the Middle of an engine and axle swap so I need at least one vehicle up and running.
Old November 16th, 2018, 5:29 PM
Banned

The transmission is an unrepentant piece of ****. It failed in my 96 Monte, as well as my ex-wife's 96 Trans Sport.
Old January 13th, 2019, 12:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default lumina issues=-

I bought a 1998 base , Lumina 3.1 litre about 16 years ago from the French Consulate at auction. It had 43,000 miles on it. Now it has 287,000 miles on it.
I never did service the tranny and still got about 170,000 out of it before a little slipping started.
the silly coolant sensor light on the dash is easily cured by simply disconnecting it from the side of the radiator.
there is a freaking dumb azz security chip on the ignition key. It can leave you stranded.The simple solution if to figure out what chip it is. Then my mechanic bought one at Radio Shack and wired it under the dash. So no more security, but no more failed to turn over.I don,t recall if he needed to go into the steering column.
My turn signal switch and also wiper switch is in the steering column. Do not buy a cheapie anywhere. I learned that lesson the hard way. Buy "A/C Delco,OEM .
Here,s some interesting stuff=- the drivers seat is a 60% and passenger front is 40%.If your seat is worn out , go to the junk yard and find the same color, but a passenger side.Cost $25. and bolted right into the exact spot. So then I had a 40% and 40%. I installed a nice console from a wrecked Pontiac Vibe down the middle.
My brakes have always been lousey.Now I,m running "EBC" pads and they,re the best I,ve seen on this car.
good luck Jim
Old January 13th, 2019, 1:50 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

The passlock is a real issue, you can match the resistor that the module reads, there are 15 different values. The resistor under the column will work, my understanding is you cannot leave it hooked up all the time, after awhile it will not read. The coolant low sensor is another issue, mine is on most of the time, it sets below the radiator cap, real jewel to replace with the radiator in the car. The transmission isn't a real POS, but the parking mechanisim is. I've had mine in twice due to not shifting out of park, but into gear (both).
Old May 27th, 2019, 3:59 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
The passlock is a real issue, you can match the resistor that the module reads, there are 15 different values. The resistor under the column will work, my understanding is you cannot leave it hooked up all the time, after awhile it will not read. The coolant low sensor is another issue, mine is on most of the time, it sets below the radiator cap, real jewel to replace with the radiator in the car. The transmission isn't a real POS, but the parking mechanisim is. I've had mine in twice due to not shifting out of park, but into gear (both).
It,s been around 10 years since we fixed the security key problem and never had any more problems.
The EBC pads were the best , but only lasted about 18,000 miles. Then back to oem.
Most of the time the a/c defaults to defrost mode .Could be a vacuum leak, who knows where.
My shade tree mechanic already tested the vacuum ball by the fender,etc.etc.. He drives a lumina and knows the car very well.
There is s a little leak of coolant dripping from the timing chain cover, but the car never over heats. I just add about half a quart once a week.
Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel from the junk yard was a nice addition.lol