Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Hey guys im new so please help. 304 electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2019, 7:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys im new so please help. 304 electrical problem

So im rewiring a 305 with hei distributor with brand new wiring kit. I connected everything and i took off negative cable off the battery. With key off i proceeded to put a tester light on to look for shorts in the sytem. I attached aligator clip yo negative post and with cable off the battery put test light on cable a 0.1 draw. Now heres my prob. When i turn key to on i retest and now neg cable has 12 volts!! I isolated to wire of distributor if i disconnect wire then the negative goes back to normal. I took off distributor cap/rotor to check if wires inside were grounding and they were not. The car starts fine no problem so is this normal?? Do i have a short somewhere? Thanks guys.
Old April 8th, 2019, 8:11 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

OK, what is your concern? Does it start? Voltmeter reads a potential difference, if you have (test light) on negative, and have a light on (test light) with key on, you have a positive, and a ground. Not sure what you are asking, and am trying to help.
Old April 8th, 2019, 9:00 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

sounds normal to me. this is why if you leave the key on the battery will die
Old April 8th, 2019, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks kevinkpk for your help. Heres a link to a video i made.
Please tell me what you think.