Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Lumina Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2017, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 3.1 Lumina Won't Start

Having an issue with my car starting. Normally at start of day it won't have an issue and will start. But the more frequently I have to start it the more likely it won't start.

Replaced ignition cylinder so security isn't the issue. Starter and solenoid are relatively new but I haven't had them checked technically. Alternator is good and battery is good because I still get power and it runs everything else as normal.

it's strange because it'll start no issue say going to the store. Then when I come back out to leave it might not start, then I'll wait for 5-10min and try again and it'll usually start again after the wait. However, leaving work tonight it wasn't having it even after 30min of waiting.

To clarify what happens: put key in, turn to on position, lights all come on and off as they should, hear faint noise of presumably the fuel pump, normally a kinda loud click of some sort, then after 5sec I try to crank and the lights in the dash just dim a little. No sputter or attempt to crank, then I hear the whirring noise from fuel pump (?) and the click again.

Any and all ideas are welcome, I need to do whatever I can to get this thing rolling again.

Last edited by 96blumina; December 21st, 2017 at 9:54 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 8:02 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I assume you mean no crank. Did you replace the ignition key with the correct number?
Old December 22nd, 2017, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

Yes I'm sure it's the correct number. The cylinder has been replaced for about a year now, before this issue appeared.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 8:39 AM
CF Monarch

I had intermittent issues with mine. The starter solenoid is easy to get to on that car. Make sure the wire's are tight, AND the two screws that hold the solenoid to the starter. I had that issue on mine, one of the screws came completly out.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 7:30 PM
CF Beginner

Well stupidly, but thankfully, while checking the connections to the starter I ran the lines and realized the power to my fusebox (with fuses for my ignition in it) was loose.

Started like a champ 3 times in a row and my windows were functioning much better, I had noticed a drop in response from the windows.

Thanks for the simple reminder!
Old December 22nd, 2017, 7:36 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by 96blumina
Well stupidly, but thankfully, while checking the connections to the starter I ran the lines and realized the power to my fusebox (with fuses for my ignition in it) was loose.

Started like a champ 3 times in a row and my windows were functioning much better, I had noticed a drop in response from the windows.

Thanks for the simple reminder!
It's those simple things that usually are the issue.