Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

OIL PUMP AND FLOW troubles with 96 Lumina 3.1L

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2010, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OIL PUMP AND FLOW troubles with 96 Lumina 3.1L

I was given this car with a blown headgasket. Fixed the head gasket and it went fine except for the rockers came loose two weeks later. All rockers were torqued to specs per Alldata both times. Two weeks later drove to Arizona from Minnesota without any troubles. The trip here to Arizona did not even use a quarter quart of oil either. After being here a few months, the engine chugged one day on the freeway and i got it off the freeway and coasted down the ramp. The engine is clacking from un oiled lifter and there is no oil pressure reading at the sender just next to the oil filter and no engine or oil lights came on either. There was not even a drop of oil residue on the sender tip. I suspected an oil pump, so i did oil pressure test and that was zero. I removed upper plenum and PFTE to prime the oil pump with socket and extension on a drill. There is oil pumping very well through the little hole of the channel where my extension and socket are at a slow rate or it will spill over the top of the block going faster....so that is telling me there is a good oil pump... correct? So then why isnt any oil getting to the top of the motor? I dont see anything wrong with the oil pump drive or the pump itself now. I did remove the old oil filter and there was oil in it, so i thought maybe it was plugged so i bought a new filter and that was installed and still no oil to the top of the motor. I have the front valve cover off and the plenum and it doesnt appear to show any loose rockers.
Does the drill have to be run at very high speeds to get to the top or will slow speed do?
Does that oil pump PFTE drive have to be installed to get oil to the top of the engine?
Any ideas please? Thank You.