Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Questions for 96 3.1 v6

Search this Thread

Old October 12th, 2007, 2:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for 96 3.1 v6

Hey,
I got a 96 3.1 v6.
The check engine light will come on for a while, then go off sometimes.. The code is 300 on the testing OBD. I just did the plugs=NGK gaped to .060
As I'm doing the front plugs, it was easily done. Now when I'm trying to do the rear plugs the wires are orignal and I end up pulling the line right out of them boot that goes over the spark plugs.. Took me about 7 hours like a dumb **** to figure out from my neighbor who sold me the car I can unbolt the front mountings and tilt the motor forward. Long story short.. I do the rear plugs, Buy 3 new wires from autozone. 7mm double silicone 4.99 each. Part # 26az1 make sure everything is rite and bolt everything back to place. I start the car and its running like crap. I drove it very easily in the circle sub that I live in and I knew that something was done wrong or a wire was crossed. So I look up the firing order. changed it up..
The car starts great running fine, But the check engine light is on for the first time since I changed the plugs and wires and start her up.. No big deal.
So basically the check engine will come on and go off cause the wires were crossed and I made that mistake. So I drive it for a couple days and its ether getting worse or something else is wrong with my car.. I take myself up to a trusted shop to talk about it. The guy tells me its probably the injectors a 1288.00 job I laugh to myself, As I want to punch him in the face or kick him in the *****
He says to change the coils, So i go up to autozone. They tell me to buy some injector cleaner. So I do, I fill my tank up with product. The check engine light goes off.. I'm like awsome! Then I'm driving for maybe 20 minutes and then again the check engine light comes back on..
Then the light would turn off for like 2-5 mins and come back on. Sometimes its sold light, Very rarely the light *when first starting it when its sitting* blinking check engine light and the car runs slush.
I'm going to take back these wires I bought for the front 3 today because the original wires are still in great shape the front ones at least, No tears or rips or what not.
I think I'm going to try the Coils, Because the code says multible misfire in cylinders. I think It would be a coil for my own opinon. But I'm used to working and driving on imports.. The car never dies out it always runs. But I noticed tonight it was cold when driving home from work the exhaust is popping and sounds like its misfiring or not getting enough fuel.. I DONT KNOW I'M STUCK HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM OR CAN HELP ME OUT!!
Hopefully I can fix the problem, The guy who sold me the car said that code had come up before and he had the injectors cleaned at his chevy dealer, I believe him hes a real honest guy and I think he took real good care of the car or else it wouldn't be running..
Thanks for reading ladys and gentleman.
Dan.