Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Randomly won't start

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2017, 5:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Randomly won't start

My '96 Lumina 3.1 randomly won't start. Example: I start it drive somewhere, leave that place and it'll start, then if I get to another place and go to start it - nothing. Essentially, the more starts I have to do the higher the probability that it wont start. So I'll end up just sitting in my car, wait 5-15 min, and then it'll start again. My alternator is good, battery is good, my starter and solenoid are right at 1yr old (haven't tested truthfully but considering it starts still I don't think that's the issue), connections to and from all 3 are solid.

I replaced my ignition cylinder less than a year ago as well as I already had the 'Security Light' issue due to the simple broken wire. I'm not sure what to check next, the only other detail I can share is there is some part by the steering column that's connected to a metal cable coming from the steering wheel - it seems to get unusually hot after multiple starts.

Any advice or tips is more than welcome even if it seems crazy obvious as I'm not a super knowledgeable car guy, my father helps me with a majority of work and I learn as I get new problems - this is just one we can't figure out.