Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Replaced Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2013, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Brake Fluid

A friend checked my car and said I needed brake fluid. This morning on the way to work I get a message to service brake system. Then that went off and the brake light came on and went off.

I went to the auto parts store and got brake fluid and they put it in for me. The guy that did it was young and told me that I needed to now get my brakes bled. There were two shadetree mechanics parked behind the store that could do it. I was not comfortable with that. I told him I would have someone check it out this afternoon.

I have a 2006 chev. monte carlo that has just rolled over to 100,000 miles. No light or bells are on now.
Old August 15th, 2013, 1:56 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

marshagup,

When your lights come on it is an indication that their could be a potential concern. I would at least recommend you at least have a diagnosis from your dealership. It is totally up to you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 15th, 2013, 7:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

you shouldn't have to top up brake fluid. The system is designed so that as the pads wear the fluid level drops. When the brake red brake warning light comes on your pads are all worn out.

The only other reason the fluid is low would be from a leak in the system.

Have your brake system inspected. You probably need rotors and pads. when the caliper pistons are pushed back; all that added fluid will now displace back into the master cylinder reservoir and overflow.
Old September 12th, 2013, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

tech2 is right. If you are having to add brake fluid, your brake pads are becoming worn down or you have a leak. DO NOT have a "shade tree mechanic" work on your brakes. I do my own but I've done enough of them that I am comfortable doing them.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 9:00 AM
CF Active Member

Have the breaks been worked on , before now , at 100,000 ?

If not , you are lucky and they probably do need repair .

My wife does a lot of stop and go & city driving . I can predict , with her driving , I will have to replace front tires and front brake pads about every 30,000 miles . Rear brakes , maybe 60,000 ?

I do my own brake repairs . Have been ever since I was a teenager .

If you can not do it your self , ask your friends who they pay to do brake work .

Check to see if your emergency brake holds properly . If not , that is another sign , at least the rear brakes may need adjusting , at the least . Probably replacing the pads / shoes .

If you have any squeeking or grinding noise from the brakes , get them attended to NOW , before you end up costing yourself more $$$ .

Best of luck :-)
God bless
Wyr