Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Unknown Intermittent Issues Going On With My Lumina

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2018, 11:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Unknown Intermittent Issues Going On With My Lumina

Hello everyone!

I've had my 1998 Chevrolet Lumina LS (3.1L) for about 5 years now, currently has 156k on the odometer, and last year when I replaced my spark plugs I noticed a severe lost in power. I ran a scanner and got back a P0336 code (Crankshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance Error) So, I changed the sensor along with the connector (frayed wires on connector). It seemed to help a very miniature amount so I ran the scanner again and got back the same code. I also found two vacuum leaks so I got those patched up thinking the issue was fixed but not at all.

Basically since then, I've been buying replacement parts for what I've believed to been bad and that are equivalent to the symptoms I'm having. Not in specific order but I have cleaned my EGR valve, cleaned the throttle body, cleaned the MAF sensor and changed the filter, cleaned the fuel injectors, replaced all the spark plugs wires (changed the wires twice because I thought the first ones were possibly faulty), changed 2/5 coil pack, changed the IAC valve, changed PCV valve and get this, I bought a new catalytic converter. I did buy a new battery and alternator but those were obvious problems at the time. Of course, I check all my fluids as needed and all are good.

It's driving me crazy because I can't figure out where the h*** the issue is. My RPM gauge, when idling, goes up and down slightly around 1k. Also when idling, the car seems to want to stall sometimes but not every time. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the engine warming up or what. I have sputtering sounds coming from my exhaust and I notice an arcing noise it seems around the distributor; not able to pinpoint it though. The arcing noise is also in sync with the sputtering coming from my exhaust. All was easy when putting in the new spark plugs. The gap was fine and I torqued them down correctly so I don't believe I could of stripped the spark plug threads.

I did some research and seen that the MAP sensor and EGR valve can go bad and cause issues. I'm not wanting to buy either just cause I haven't had luck with buying the correct replacement parts as you see. That's why I have turned to this forum to see what you guys possibly think my issue(s) are.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and also for any help you give!

- Toby

Last edited by Alphabet; October 30th, 2018 at 11:49 PM.
Old October 31st, 2018, 11:22 AM
CF Beginner

Any codes?

I would wait for a dark night, take a water spray bottle and spray around the engine area until I found the arching sound. If spark is jumping, you can usually see it in the dark, and the spray bottle will help bring about the arching.
Old October 31st, 2018, 1:11 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Tdub
Any codes?

I would wait for a dark night, take a water spray bottle and spray around the engine area until I found the arching sound. If spark is jumping, you can usually see it in the dark, and the spray bottle will help bring about the arching.
Here's the only code I keep getting: https://imgur.com/a/in6DTHb
I notice the I/M monitor says the catalytic converter, O2 sensor (pretty sure its the top one because I replaced the one at the CAT), and the EGR valve is having trouble being diagnosed.

I didn't think of doing that. I've seen it done when finding vacuum leaks and that's how I found the two I had. I'll have to give that a try.

Thanks for the help!