Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2008, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel bearings

I recently had front wheel bearings replaced (because I was hearing what sounded to me to be a bearing) and transmission flushed flushed w/ new trans filter in my 2003 Monte SS.
I was wondering is there a way I can tell by looking at it if the bearing was actually replaced ?
I asked this because, I was at the garage that replaced the bearings and over heard the owner telling one of the mechanics that a vehicle he was going to working on he wasn't sticking on new parts. So after hearing that I was a bit concerned .. and thinking .. Did this garage do the same thing to my car ?

What should I do ?

1) confront the owner ?
2) take the car to another garage to have it checked out ?
Old July 18th, 2008, 3:26 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: wheel bearings

Take it to another shop to have it checked out before ruining a possibly good relationship. Many time comtumers do not want new parts put on and opt to have salvaged parts put on. Another scenario would be if the part was very hard to find, or very expensive, then the shop would present the costumer with the option of going used.
An easy way for you to check it out would be to pop off the center caps of your rims. The wheel studs should be shiny and clean compared to the other side. The front wheel bearing in your car comes complete with a hub and new studs
Old July 24th, 2008, 4:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: wheel bearings

OK Thanks..

I did tell them to replace both sides only because of past experience when I replaced one the other went bad a few months down the road.