Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

whine, but only sometimes

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2010, 8:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whine, but only sometimes

Hi All,

1993 Lumina Euro

I am getting a whining sound... but I don't notice it all the time... only when going down hills, when my foot is off the gas, and I'm coasting...

around town driving, can't really hear it... maybe still there, as engine running might cover it up?

but wifey drove it to work today, and said it was more noticeble at higher speeds... The tranny shifts fine, doesn't slip at all, and was rebuilt only 60K ago - car has 130K on her...

To troubleshot this, if I try going down a hill, and shift into N, and the sound goes away, would that mean it's tranny related? or if it's still there in Neutral, does it rule out the tranny? and then possibly one of the wheel bearings?

It doesn't sound quite like that whine that trannys do make... almost sounds like a speedometer cable? (had a van years ago that sounded like that, and that's what it was... do newer cars have this?)

Can tires whine? there are no vibrations anywhere... I do hear a slight Thump thump thump though on the drivers side as well... that I'm sure is the tire...

thanks all!