New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

08 tahoe battery problems

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2015, 12:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 tahoe battery problems

About 6 months ago I replaced the battery in my 08 tahoe then 3 months after that my battery dies again. I take it to autozone and they say the battery is fine so we argue for a little bit and they finally agree to give me a new one. So we get it in the car and get it started and everything's fine for a couple of months and then that one dies so we open the hood and the cables are loose so we tighten them and jump it off and it's fine for a couple a weeks and then dies again so we go have the alternator tested and it's fine. So it has to be something draining my battery right? I know this battery is probably bad since we had to charge it so many times. All the lights and everything is off as far as I know. Please help!!!
Old June 25th, 2015, 1:42 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Check the fluid level in for each cell. If they are low, fill them with distilled water until they are at the bottoms of the holes. Don't overfill.

I had similar issue with my 2007 suburban. The original battery gave us no problems for years then is started going dead fast like after leaving a door or the lift gate open for about 2 minutes. The battery always tested out fine. I tested each cell and everything looked fine. Tried a desulfating charger with no luck.

I ended up replacing it with another and it was fine for another couple years until it started doing the same thing. AutoZone tested it and it showed fine again. I replaced it with the highest level of battery from Wal-Mart with higher cranking amps and haven't had a problem since. I took the battery that was from AutoZone, topped off the cells with distilled water and wired it up for trailering. Haven't had any problems with it.

One thing I did find which I don't think would cause the problems was the smaller wire attached to the starter was loose. I could finger turn it. I found that a month ago which is long after the original problems.

There aren't many car battery manufacturers so a battery from one place could be identical to a battery from another but with different names on the label.

I thought about getting an Optima or Interstate AGM battery but they were too expensive.
Old June 27th, 2015, 12:11 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by countrigrl878787
About 6 months ago I replaced the battery in my 08 tahoe then 3 months after that my battery dies again. I take it to autozone and they say the battery is fine so we argue for a little bit and they finally agree to give me a new one. So we get it in the car and get it started and everything's fine for a couple of months and then that one dies so we open the hood and the cables are loose so we tighten them and jump it off and it's fine for a couple a weeks and then dies again so we go have the alternator tested and it's fine. So it has to be something draining my battery right? I know this battery is probably bad since we had to charge it so many times. All the lights and everything is off as far as I know. Please help!!!
Welcome to the forum.

If you post in the Tahoe section, you'll get more views.