Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2003 Tahoe Battery Problems??

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2006, 4:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Tahoe Battery Problems??

Hello,

I have a few questions that someone here maybe able to answer. I have a 2003 Tahoe, 51K miles on it, original battery. A few days ago, all of a sudden when I'm driving, I hear noises coming from the rear tailgate, I investigate to find the rear wiper blade is turning itself on/off, not making a full sweep, just moving about 2-3 inches up/down on the bracket. I call me Chevrolet service advisor, and he's never heard of that problem before, I schedule an appointment for 08/02/2006. Before I have a chance to take the vehicle in, I notice the clock on the radio will reset itself back to 12:00 everytime the ignition is turned on/off. Then, as I make my way home from a long drive yesterday, at idle, the A/C unit is pulsing up and down with a rough idle. I manage to make it back to my office (70 mile drive), the Tahoe sit for about a 45 minutes, I try to start it, it acts like a bad battery, will not turn over. I call for a tow truck, we jump the battery and it starts, I drive it to the Chevy dealer (5 miles away), all of the above problems are still there. Today, the dealer first tells me he thinks I need a new battery, $200.00, then about 1/2 hour later, he calls me back to say he thinks it's more than the battery, he thinks it maybe the ingition switch??? Can anyone provide me with any help??? Can a worn battery cause all of these problems?? (Sorry if this post is a little long).

-Kim
Old August 2nd, 2006, 5:44 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: 2003 Tahoe Battery Problems??

i would think that the dealer should be able to test the battery to see if its good or not. if its bad then it needs to be replaced if its not then im not sure what it may be but im not sure how the ignition switch would cuse all that. sounds more like a bad or broken wire somwhere. post and let me know what you find out.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 11:23 PM
CF Active Member

low battery voltage can make a car do crazy stuff
a dealer should a amp draw test
to see if the battery is bad
if they dont know what it is tho i would take it somewhere else
sounds like they might be trying to pull a fast one on you

good luck
Old August 8th, 2006, 5:16 PM
CF Beginner

Well, I got my Tahoe back from the dealer, and the problem turned out to be corrosion on the ground wire from the battery to the the engine block (according to the dealer). And I'm happy to say that the truck runs fine without anymore problems. Thanks to those of your who offered possible solutions.

-Kim
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:48 AM
CF Senior Member

Nothing against this particular dealer, but I would be leary of them, unless you get an optima battery you shouldn't have to spend that much on a battery. You can get one from Wal-Mart for 60 to 80 dollars. Sounds like a ripoff to me. But at least you know what it was and it is fixed now. Good luck in futur endevors.
Old August 14th, 2006, 2:56 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually that's a pretty typical price for a battery from the dealer. Yea it's a ripoff cause of the labor times. I beleive it's up to the tech to charge anywhere from .5 to a full hour of labor to put in the battery. Kinda stupid when you can buy a battery from autozone and get it installed for free.