Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

a/c problems

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2006, 6:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c problems

I have a 1999 chevrolet s-10 blazer. The air in the car does not get cool until I either accelerate hard or reach 45 mph. I have had the compressor and accumulator replaced and I just replaced the a/c relay. At first the compressor would click on within a few seconds after turning on the a/c when I replaced the relay but now it is back to doing the same thing only now the compressor is clicking off and on. Could it be that I need to recharge it? It seems like maybe there is a leak in the lines although that has been checked and none habe been found. I don't think it is the low pressure switch since I had the accumulator replaced. Any help would be appreciated.
Old August 12th, 2006, 12:16 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: a/c problems

have it recharged and/or tighten your drive belt if you can, if not, see if it needs replacing. Sometimes the belt can stretch, its uncommon but it can happen.
Old August 14th, 2006, 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info. I looked at the belt and found no problems other than the bolt holding the belt tensioner was loose. I tightened it but I am still having the same problem. Also, the compressor does not cycle off and on. That was some misinformation. There are no leaks in the system since I just had the accumulator replaced and no leaks were present. As random as the compressor decides to cycle on makes me think that it is something electronic. I've noticed that if you leave the switch off and wait to start the car and let it run for awhile before attempting to turn on the air that it seems work. Is it possible that the heating and air controls in the cabin could be faulty? If so, would that problem appear as a code when running a diagnostic on the computer? Thanks again to anyone that can help.

Old August 14th, 2006, 8:46 PM
CF Senior Member

I don't think that would show a diagnostic code, as that really dosen't affect the engine or drivability. It could be very possible that your switch is bad. I don't know if the books tell you how to check that or not. Good luck.