New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

1984 k 20 starting issuses

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2012, 4:09 PM
soh
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1984 k 20 starting issuses

so i have a 1984 chevy truck with a 72 corvette motor i am haveing really bad starting issuses every thing is brand new,starter, starter wire, battery,dist,plugs,. it starts fine in the moring but after that,thats its it wind really slow and some times wont even spin the motor i have a heat blanket around the starter along with a heat sheild as well. i have it wired like this: from the battery pos to a kill swith inside the cab then off the kill switch to the starter bolt (big one) Then i also have a 60 amp push button stater on end of the push button goes to the selnode on the starter and the power comes off the wire from the collum.I have gone through 3 brand new starters with in two months what can i do to resolve this problem is there any advice out there.I get stuck places because it wont start.please help.should i run a hot of the kill switch to one end of the push button instead commimg off the colum im lost
Old October 24th, 2012, 4:18 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

My take is the wiring is too small, and probably the switch. Combined your not getting enough current to the solenoid. This is based on what you posted.
Old October 24th, 2012, 4:21 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Your kill switch should be from the small wire to the solenoid.
Old October 25th, 2012, 9:06 AM
soh
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soh
so i have a 1984 chevy truck with a 72 corvette motor i am haveing really bad starting issuses every thing is brand new,starter, starter wire, battery,dist,plugs,. it starts fine in the moring but after that,thats its it wind really slow and some times wont even spin the motor i have a heat blanket around the starter along with a heat sheild as well. i have it wired like this: from the battery pos to a kill swith inside the cab then off the kill switch to the starter bolt (big one) Then i also have a 60 amp push button stater on end of the push button goes to the selnode on the starter and the power comes off the wire from the collum.I have gone through 3 brand new starters with in two months what can i do to resolve this problem is there any advice out there.I get stuck places because it wont start.please help.should i run a hot of the kill switch to one end of the push button instead commimg off the colum im lost
I have been reading and i have found that since i dont have anything grounded could be the problem the only thing that is grounded is the battery to the frame all other grounds are gone