New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

1988 Silverado Code 42, chasing a ghost

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2016, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Silverado Code 42, chasing a ghost

I have a 1988 Silverado 5.7 v8 350. My truck will run perfect with no problems and then after warming up the engine (45min in) it starts to stutter/ loss of power/ then dies while driving. After each time the truck dies, it will start right back up and drive like it had no issue until 10-15min into driving it once more. I replaced: ignition control module, idle air control valve, map sensor, spark plugs, spark plug wires, new air filter, fuel pump, fuel filter, radiator, thermostat... still it continues. I had a shop check out the truck, but then can't seem to find the problem. After running a code reader at the shop, it came up code 42. I looked into the code and after doing so, I changed out the knock sensor and electronic spark control module.

This truck continues on a path of no where. I love the truck and it runs great until it throws an attitude. Any ideas?
Old November 27th, 2016, 9:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I am also a owner of a 88 K2500 with a 5.7 and have chased the same issue.
Run a ohms test on your TPS sensor,or just change it out. Also the ECM temp sender is located on the intake manifold just to the right of the themostat housing,make sure it is wired up and that it has proper continuity. The wiring harness over the engines on these trucks take a beating,do wiggle test and look for broken wires. Your problem is in the electrical and not the mechanical.