New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

1997 GMC Sierra 4x4 extended cab

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2019, 10:13 AM
dwm
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 GMC Sierra 4x4 extended cab

Hi, my name is David, and I just inherited my Dad's 1997 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 extended cab pickup. Dad passed away last December, and my 1988 F250 diesel died after my step-son abused it by driving up a mountain after the lower radiator hose had developed a large leak. Being a diesel engine, it somehow survived the initial over heating, but a week later, the water pump failed in a spectacular way, causing unknown damage. Since I had only paid $1,500 for it about 3 years ago, and since it had over 337,000 miles on the original engine, and I didn't think the rest of the truck was worth the expense it would have taken to rebuild the 7.3 IDI diesel engine, I sold it "As Is", and traveled about 1,000 miles to pick up Dad's truck. Now that the long story is out of the way about how I got this GMC half ton pickup, I joined here because I am thinking that I would like to keep Dad's old truck long term, and fix her up a bit, with the help and advice of other members here. Having 4 wheel drive is a big bonus for me, as I hate to have to put tire chains on in the winter, and both locations where I currently live, are located in "Snow Country" (the mountains of Southern California, and near the base of Mt. Shasta in Northern California).
Dad lived in Roswell, New Mexico, so I need a new smog certificate to register the truck in California, but can't get one, because it is currently showing a misfire code for the #6 cylinder, and an O2 sensor fault (the O2 sensor fault might be caused by the misfire, or so I have been told). I am NOT an auto/truck mechanic, but usually try to do most of my own auto/truck maintenance and repairs, when ever I can. I have a good supply of tools, which has been increased by the addition of Dad's tools, and he was a certified aircraft mechanic who also did almost all of his own auto/truck maintenance and repairs, including some engine rebuilds, many years ago. I'll start a new thread regarding my work on diagnosing the cause of my #6 cylinder misfire, instead of going any further with that subject in this introduction message.
I look forward to learning more about my Dad's truck from all of you in the coming weeks and months.
Old June 8th, 2019, 3:18 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

welcome from maryland