New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

1998 Chevy Silverado

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2015, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Chevy Silverado

Hi my name is Jeremy. I recently bought a 1998 Chevy Silverado and am having problems with my brakes. When I press on my brakes it almost goes to the ground and as soon as I release pressure and press again I get a little more resistance. I have been doing some research and from the sounds of it I have to replace my brake system master cylinder but I recently went and talked to a guy at O'reilley and he said that it might be my abs block. So it a little confused and a lot frustrated cause I just want the problem fixed. Is there anything I can do to either test the master cylinder or find out if the abs is the true problem...... Somebody please help me?
Old March 25th, 2015, 7:01 AM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

Before you do anything else, I would bleed the master cylinder and then the complete system.
Old May 18th, 2015, 2:50 PM
CF Beginner

you might want to close off your flex lines on front with vice grips on both sides. make sure you protect the rubber with cardboard when using the grips. If you get a full pedal by doing that just try grips on one side, if pedal only moves down part ways let me know. there may be an issue......
Old May 20th, 2015, 2:34 AM
CF Active Member

I would bleed it first and make sure to set up system properly and check for any leaks.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 10:48 AM
CF Beginner

I replaced my master cylinder with two new ones and no difference, What kind of pressure do you have at the bleed screws. I had very little even with the new master cylinders......no difference then the old one. I used a different master cylinder from a 99 GMC AND BRAKES WORK GREAT. I personally believe the master cylinders up to 98 are faulty or else why did I get more pressure with the 99 one. Hope this helps
Old June 3rd, 2015, 8:00 AM
CF Junior Member

Welcome on Board !