New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Chevy engine

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2019, 8:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy engine

Hi everyone. I am from morocco i bought a car from the us it is a pontiac firebird trans am 86 swapped with a chevy engine.
the question is i don’t know which engine is it.
the last owner changed his number so i cannot asked him.
here is a picture.
thank you for ur help.
Old April 9th, 2019, 11:45 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

if you dont know how to you think we will know? j/k
being serious now, theres engine "stamp" numbers and engine "casting" numbers on the engine that will help you determine what you have.
the casting numbers are normally found on the top right (drivers side) of the bell housing. youll have to crawl up into the engine bay clean the bell housing mount off and take a picture with you phone to get the best results. ive also found taking something like soapstone and rubbing the casting marks make it easier to read.

the stamped numbers are normally found on the front left (passengers side) perch. but the alternator makes them hard to see.

also not if the engine deck has had any mil work them the numbers will be gone.

the casting numbers will tell you what the engine CID was casted at, the year and sometimes the number of bolts in the main. the stamped numbers will tell you what the engine came out of the factory as and the last few digits of the vehicles VIN
Old April 9th, 2019, 9:12 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Looks like a 350 with a spread bore Holley, and headers. That will really git up and go!