New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Dealerships stealing Engine Covers for recall!!???

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2018, 5:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dealerships stealing Engine Covers for recall!!???

Hello everyone. So I own a silver 2004 Monte Carlo SS Supercharged Limited Edition in pristine condition. I brought it in to a local dealership to get a recall taken care of that I've been putting off. The Oil leakage issue (which hasn't been a problem for me but I figured it would be a good idea to be proactive). The dealership stated that they were going to replace the forward piston cover and seal (also something with the keys so they don't turn off while in operation). So yesterday when I went to pick up my car I discovered that they had taken the plastic engine cover (in brand new condition) away. When I asked them for it back they stated that it's "property of GM" and that they were taking it as a precaution against engine fire. As I understand from reading the recall order, that issue was supposed to be taken care of by replacing the Piston valve cover and seal. No mention was made of taking the engine cosmetic cover away. The dealership refused to give it back and when I called GM about it they also said that they can't give it back. I suggested that they replace the function of that part of my car by doing something with the look of the supercharger casing, such as replacing it with a shined up cover or polishing the current one, perhaps...something to replace the function of what they took off. They refused to do anything. I suggested that they then compensate me for the part since it was my property, they refused. Is it just me, or is this wrong and potentially illegal? I understand that they're trying to minimize their liability in case of engine fire... But when recall work is done, isn't there a reasonable expectation that they would somehow replace the function of what they take away?? Never in a million years would I have taken my car in with the cover on it if I thought they would steal that from me. Anyone else have this issue, or any lawyers out there have any input?
Old March 29th, 2018, 7:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

what recall was performed? document number or title.
maybe someone can find the recall document and read through the procedure. If removing is part of the procedure...your out of luck.

Last edited by tech2; March 29th, 2018 at 7:38 PM.