New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Hello new guy here!

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2012, 7:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello new guy here!

Hello, I am new to the chevy world per se, so I need a world of advice since I've done extensive research with google and am horrified that I cannot find clear and concise information on my truck. Sooooo, here I am, a willing pupil looking for any and all solid advice. So here's my situation. I bought a 1994 chevy Cheyenne K3500 from a guy I know that was hurting financially, "what appealed to me the most about the truck is that it comes with a snow plow! I live in Montreal so it really does make a difference" and he doesn't seem to know much about the truck himself. It needs some work, a whole lotta love actually, and I plan to do most of the work, whatever I can, by myself, yet I am not one hundred percent knowledgable in this area though with concise directions, I can pretty much handle most things that doesn't require machining. My main concerns at the moment it one, when the truck is running and it's in gear, there is such a loud rattling almost but not quite grinding noise coming from where the shifter comes from the floor, how can I quiet or silence this noise? Also, do I need to use a odb1 code reader on this truck or can I use a odb2 on it? The truck runs like sh*t at the moment so today I am going through the motions of switching sparkplugs and wires, then drop under it for a oil change. And the air filters going to be swapped too, any advice on what else I should check and replace? I believe from the Haynes book there is a 305 motor in the truck though my regie says its a 5.7l not real sure how to tell and the tranny, goodness is this truck ever slow, it starts in granny gear, then 1234R. Can I speed this up somehow cause my takeoff is a crawl unless I slam on the gas and grind the gears trying to get it going. Thank you for any and al help you can give and for your considerations.....Scott
Old September 26th, 2012, 7:55 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

First how does the clutch pedal feel? Does it give some resistance when depressed? Could just need adjusting. OBD1, I don't know if an OBD2 reader will work, I just don't think it will. I assume you have a check engine light. There is a way to read OBD1 codes.
Old September 26th, 2012, 8:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your response, as for the clutch I take it all the way to the floor, very little resistance, in fact it will only start when it fully pressed to the floor, one of the reasons why I think the clutch needs to be switched, my friend says its a hydraulic clutch, and I checked all the fluids from what I can tell they all l look full.
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:30 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

If it is hydraulic, look under neath for the resivior. If it is low, you have a leak. Check for leaks on the line, resivior, and servo.