Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Hey hey! New guy here with new guy questions......

Old January 25th, 2010, 9:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey hey! New guy here with new guy questions......

Hey!

Right, I have had a list of vehicles that I have been knocking down to decide what to replace my BMW with and I have had an itch for a 4x4 for a while and after driving my friends Navi I added 'Big American 4x4' to my list...

Since then I am now left with only 1 option and that is a Chevy Suburban (love these things wayyy too much!) and I have a few questions that google couldn't really answer...

I know that they did the pre2000 model in RHD (failed try to get into the Oz market) and to get this they used the dash from a Blazer...

What are the options (if any) to convert the 2000 onwards model Suburban to RHD and what else would be needed to get it done?

I have found a company that can do it but their prices are stupidly high and I'm pretty good on the spanners so would give it a go myself

I would assume steering rack would be a must (would a RHD rack from a blazer fit?), but is the system drive by wire or cable driven for the gas pedal?

Sorry for my long winded post as my 1st but I have a huge amount of questions and you guys seem to know the most about them!

Thanks in advance

Craig
Old January 26th, 2010, 7:06 AM
CF Beginner

Not even any guesses? lol....

I am spending today getting as much info as I can by myself but there are just some things that even google can't answer!

Any help would be great
Old January 26th, 2010, 10:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because the RHD market for these trucks is so small, I would guess that you will be on your own. From my limited knowledge, I would think the following areas would need to be addressed...
-Dash
-Rack
-Tie Rod Ends
-Pedals and linkages
-Firewall modifications
-Master cylinder relocation
-Relocation of engine components affected by the rack and master cyl.

It might be easier just to drive in reverse everywhere
Old January 26th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

The throttle is "by wire" Good luck w/ your conversion.
Old January 27th, 2010, 6:37 AM
CF Beginner

Vester: Yeah I had noticed that there are very very few RHD suburbans after 2001, I have managed to find a 2005 Tahoe Z71 (its EXACTLY what I want) which has been converted to RHD but the dealership that is selling it seems to be very lazy at getting me any details, but I do have a (bad) pic of the interior....

They also want $35,500 for it, I mean I want one but OMG!! I could buy a hummer for that money!

It looks like I will have to just try and get used to the LHD and just hope that I stirke it lucky with getting it converted!

My next issue is looking for a shipping company that can deal with collecting a vehicle from the US and delivering it here! so far I am getting quotes for around $6500!! seems a bit steep to me?

73Shark: Thanks for that, at least that helps with 1 aspect... I may have to look at doing the conversion well after I buy the damn thing! Oh the joys of wanting something so badly that your willing to do almost anything for one! lol